t w e l v e

Dan
There were so many unanswered questions:

Why did he do that? He wasn't supposed to help people. He shouldn't have gotten involved. There was no way he could let it happen again.

What had gotten into him? He felt everything he stood for was slipping further from him, tearing away at the seams, breaking little by little until it ceased to be.

Where was the side of the him that was cold, relentless and unmerciful? It was decreasing by the day - was he becoming who he used to be?

Who was doing this to him? He didn't really want to know the answer, it was a case of misfortune that made Dan painfully aware of the culprit, though he had no clue as to how he did it.

But to hell with the idea that Dan liked him in the slightest.

For a second he wondered if it was Phil all along. That maybe he'd gotten into his head and all Dan's somewhat perplexing actions weren't actually his.

That was a blatant untruth, Phil was too nice. Everyone said so.

When would it all go back to how it was? Would it ever? Or would it be a change he'd have to be accustomed to?

"Howell!" called out an angry sounding voice.

Dan had expected this to happen, he began to move to the other side of the room to meet the person behind the shouting.

"What is it, Alfie?" he responded as apathetically as it was possible.

Alfie was one of the few people who wasn't scared to death of him. Dan was an exception to all the people that felt threatened by Alfie.

In ways they were pretty similar to one another. They both had a reputation for being trouble, (Dan considerably more so - which he saw as an achievement, everything was a contest between the two of them), people knew of their capabilities and the reckless streaks that went hand in hand.

One of the only variables were Alfie's 'band of minions' as Dan had taken a liking to call them. His loyal followers, his faithful disciples, an entourage that any celebrity would envy. The attention he received went to his head, clearly.

Dan found it pointless that they all called each other friends, it was blatantly obvious they were all being used.

Each of them were handpicked for having eerie powers and possessing the willing - or stupidity - to be dictated by a so-called friend. Never even thinking of leaving because of the worry of the tables turning and watching who were once on their side turn against them.

He wasn't the type to cause drama out of little things, but where Alfie was concerned if what Alfie was seeking was an argument, then it was an argument he'd receive.

"Did you call me over here to stare or is there an actual problem?" Dan questioned, making sure to sound as cocky as Alfie usually did.

"Don't be so egotistical."

"Would you look at that, the neanderthal's using big words. I'm surprised you actually know what that means, it's over four syllables - rather advanced for you. I'm impressed."

"I'm warning you, Dan, don't push me. The reason I'm here is rather apparent, don't you think? What you did before - I'm not okay with it."

Dan was quick to cut him off, it was one of the things that annoyed him most. The lack of attention infuriated him.

"Did what? Embarrass you?" he asked sweetly.

"Humiliation isn't something I'm simply going to accept, especially if it's caused by the likes of you."

"Your attempts of intimidation are futile, Alfie." he responded, letting out a laugh. Dan used the two or so inches that separated them both in height to his own advantage, looking down on the other boy as much as he could.

"And you have no effect of the sort on me either." he replied, trying to angle himself so Dan wasn't above him - failing miserably.

"Tell that to the puddle that's been following you around all day." Dan mocked, raising an eyebrow at the trail of water leading down the corridor.

"You think you're funny, don't you? I can guarantee you won't be laughing if you carry on this way."

"What are you going to do about it? Set your posse on me?"

"That'd be preferable to my plans, Dan." looking him dead in the eye.

"I'm shaking with fear, believe me." as he rolled his eyes.

That was only a half lie.

As much as Dan hated to admit it, just like everybody else, he had an understanding of what Alfie could do. It gave him plenty of reasons to be fearful. It wasn't an unnecessary motive either. Having the power to create worlds to practically incarcerate humans wasn't an experience any man would like to partake in, even the most courageous would cower at the mere thought. Alfie had a knack for knowing what frightened people, it wasn't part of his ability so Dan wasn't all that sure on how nine out of ten times he could guess correctly.

Dan wasn't even sure of what his worst nightmare was, and he wasn't in a rush to find out either. It could be the dark, trees, moths, the unknown. He doubted that, ever since what had happened in the forest, those things had kept him awake at night significantly less. Perhaps his nightmares were real events, repressed memories or more memorable events ingrained into his head, haunting him.

So maybe that was a whole lie and he truly was scared. Not that he'd ever let it show.