t h i r t e e n

Phil
"What was Alfie saying to you just then?" He asked as he walked a little faster to catch up to Dan.

It was purely coincidental that Phil had been about to turn the corner onto the corridor near the room where Dan and Alfie were having their 'disagreement'. He was an inquisitive person, there was no doubt about that, and more often than not he was happy to let it get the better of him.

The words he caught whilst eavesdropping sounded to be about the events of what had happened earlier on, though he wasn't sure.

Begging PJ to look through Dan's memories again wasn't an option, he still felt guilty about doing it the first time. Yet another reason why Phil thought his power was completely wasted on him: he couldn't bring himself to even look through memories without feeling awful - altering them and the actions alongside would be too much for him to handle. All he could bring himself to do was move various objects around a room.

"What's it to you?" Dan quickly snapped back at him.

"You know, I would've taken the blame for that if you didn't want anyone to know." Phil answered coolly.

"Yeah, well Alfie knew." he started, shrugging his shoulders. "It's one of the few ways he actually shows intelligence - he's pretty talented in usage of gifts and study of talents classes - he can figure out exactly who can do what."

"Is that complimentary to Alfie or the opposite? I haven't been here long but I can tell you two don't like each other. I heard it all from where I was stood, sounds to me like this is a grudge you've been holding for quite a while now."

Dan's tone suddenly became a little calmer.

"We don't see eye to eye on a few things, that's all." averting his eyes from Phil and to the floor.

Phil doubted that that was all, from what he'd heard, it seemed like they had those sorts of arguments often. Chris had vaguely mentioned Alfie to him in a conversation, he didn't sound very nice if what Chris said about him was true.

Apparently he was the type that used his powers to his own advantage to terrorise the younger students, sometimes even ones his age and older. He had a large group of people to help him that he often bossed about, and they all provided cover for him so he never got caught. But Chris never mentioned the severity of what they did so he could only assume they were nothing worse than the bullies portrayed in films.

"Why were you eavesdropping anyway?"

"It was difficult not to, neither of you were particularly quiet." Phil muttered.

"Well neither of us thought there were going to be know-it-all's like yourself lurking around the corner, listening in to private conversations."

It was that moment that Phil's mood changed.

"Look, I'm sorry for whatever it is I've done to you that's given you a reason to have a problem with me. I don't know why I'm even trying to apologise, I've done nothing to you and yet for some unknown reason you hate me."

That sounded angrier than he intended it to be, not apologetic at all. The last thing Phil wanted was to get into an argument.

"I didn't mean it like that, I -"

"No, it's not you who needs to apologise. You've not given me any reason to have a problem with you, I suppose in a way that is the problem I have. I want to hate you, believe me, but I'm unable to. As much as I try and find something to hold against you, I can't. I try to make you hate me, but you don't. I've heard what PJ and Chris say about me to you, and yet you ignore them. You're either far too nice for your own good, or you're a complete and utter idiot."