Equinox: Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

Getting back to the rooms after curfew was like a story from Mission Impossible. There were security guards wandering the halls, more so now that two students had been brutally murdered, and sometimes teachers. Mason seemed to know secret ways through the school that she didn't, stairs from classrooms leading into broom closets and cleaning rooms.

Once upstairs without another word he turned to go to his room while Lilly went to her own. Hailey was asleep with the lights on and everyone's family books around her, including Lilly's Book of Souls which contained nothing but dark spells and hexes. The poor girl was doing so much research on Lilly's behalf and though she offered to help Hailey waved her off saying it was best if she did it alone.

She climbed into her own bed and opened her phone to read her goodnight text from Ace, which was mostly him complaining about everyone's interactions with him since his best friends death, but he gave a quick good night and a winking smiling face.

Thanksgiving weekend came quickly, Lilly had packed a bag and tossed it into the back of Ace's car, who insisted on driving them to Boston. The roads from the school were empty it was when they got to the freeway that they were in stop and start traffic, and Ace's ipod had died leaving them only with Lilly's

She had put on Nsync's greatest hits, too which her compainion complained the entire time about how awful they all sounded and asked why they couldn't at least listen to the Backstreet Boys.

"I'm just saying Backstreet had better songs than Nsync." He continued as she played Bye Bye Bye for the third time. "That song where they're all dressed up as monsters, so legit."

"Yeah well Justin Timberlake is still relavent and amazing."

"In terrible movies."

Once the traffic started moving again they quickly and without much more bickering were pulling up outside of Lilly's home. She was out of the car quickly but Ace was slow behind her, as though afraid to meet her parents. "I promise they're nice." She reassured him by taking his hand and pulling him up the stairs.

She pushed the heavy door open and called out to anyone that she was home, of course Preston was the first one to come running down the stairs. "Good you're here!" He said stopping in front of her, "Carter doesn't want to play Xbox."

Lilly patted his head, "I'll play later. Preston, this is Ace my friend from school."

"Mom said he was your boyfriend."

She blushed and Ace smiled, they hadn't really discussed the whole boyfriend, girlfriend official thing yet but clearly her mom had made that decision for them. "Well, yes ok fine he's my boyfriend. Be nice to him."

"Hey buddy, can I join in on the Xbox later? I'm pretty good."

Preston nodded his head, "Fine, but we're playing what I want."

"Deal."

Preston ran off back upstairs and Lilly brought Ace into the kitchen where her dad was sitting at the table reading the paper and her mom was at the stove backing. When Betty saw Lilly and Ace walk in a smile came across her face and she crossed the kitchen to embrace their guest first, "Welcome Ace!" She always squeaked when she was excited, "I was so happy to hear someone from school was coming for the weekend, and so handsome too! Isn't he handsome, Hank?"

Lilly looked awkwardly at her dad, who looked over the top of his paper, "Sure dear. Where is he sleeping?"

"Carter's room, cleaned it, changed the sheets." Lilly was embraced tight by her mom, "I'm so happy you're here," she looked at Ace, "It's a little later but most have other dinners to go to as well."