"To be continued," he tells you, gently grabbing your hand as he leads you out of the room.

You glance back, taking in the sight of the city behind you.

Hopefully you never have to come back to this godforsaken place.

[ANOTHER SIX MONTHS LATER]

"Hey, Cloud!" you call out between slices of the perfectly peeled carrots before you.

You can hear a loud sigh before shuffling footsteps echo through the apartment.

"What?" he grumbles from the doorway.

You glance back at him with narrowed eyes and he immediately relaxes into a smile.

"I mean – yes, what is it?" he corrects with a chuckle, walking towards you.

"Much better," you tell him, grinning as he comes to a stop behind you and rests a hand on your hip.

Life in Midgar was... perfect. The city was a bit dreary, and you were still under heavy protection courtesy of an overprotective Cloud. Not that you minded honestly. Being back around people and friends had raised both of your spirits exponentially. Especially Zack. Though it was slightly awkward at first, especially when he kept apologizing profusely for kissing you so many months ago, things finally grew comfortable. Cloud was thrilled (though he'd never admit it) to have his best friend back. You were thrilled to have Zack around, both as a protector and as a friend. Sometimes you'd catch looks thrown your way, but overall the three of you had relaxed into a happy little trio.

And Cloud... You couldn't put it into words just how much your feelings for him had blossomed. Sometimes you would joke that he cares about your life more than his, and a part of you can't help but wonder if maybe, just maybe, it's not a joke. After leaving The World That Never Was and settling into a routine helping out Zack and Sephiroth train the next generation of SOLDIERs, he was able to focus the majority of his attention on you. Most nights were spent curled up together, locked away from the world and reveling in each other. It never got old.

"What did you need?" Cloud asks, breaking you from your thoughts as he runs his nose down your neck.

You bite back a shiver at the sensation, glancing over your shoulder at the male. He has a sly smile on his face – one you've seen many times.

"Basil. Can you get some from the garden?"

He groans a bit, resting his chin on your shoulder as he huffs out an exasperated breath of air.

"I hate going out there. The thorns always prick me," he complains.

You shoot him a look.

"Seriously? You fought a war, but thorns are too scary for you?" you tease.

He shrugs his shoulder before leaning down to peck your cheek. His arm wraps around your waist, holding you against him.

"I'll finish the carrots if you go for me," he suggests.

You're about to respond when he suddenly turns you around in his arm. His free hand rests on the side of your face, pulling you closer to him as his lips press to yours. Without hesitation you respond to the kiss, your fingers burying themselves in his soft hair as he presses you against the kitchen counter. Just when you're mere seconds away from pulling him upstairs, he breaks the kiss with a small smirk.

"Alright, don't you have some basil to pick?" he asks, gently shooing you away with a knock of his hips on yours.

"Tease," you retort, running a hand down his arm as you head towards the back door and out into the garden.