Chapter 37: Parting

Chapter 37: Parting

It was almost sunset. The past hour, the Salamence brothers had been off flying together. Bonding. I hadn't been present, but from far away I had heard the bellowing wails of gigantic beasts. The mourning of Dragons.

Everyone was in front of the church. Dawn and I were standing together. Piplup stood by her side, seeming uncertain with all the tension in the air. Aaron had his bag fully packed and stood talking to Robert and John. There was a new light in his eyes. A seriousness replacing his uncertainty. Demi and Roric whispered to each other, looking at me every once and awhile. It was odd to think of saying good bye again. It would be a simple good bye. Nothing like earlier.

I looked at my uncle's Electivire, who was watching the sun. Nothing like earlier whatsoever.

"Are you ok?" Dawn asked for the tenth time since we've arrived.

"Yes." I said, mostly meaning it. I decided to add, "At least I will be."

She patted my arm, "I'm proud of you. It takes so much courage to change like you have."

I turned my head and let my nose brushed against her hair, planting a kiss in it before pulling away, "Thanks, Dawn."

My uncle's Electivire let out a grunt. I looked up to see two blue shapes flying towards us. Right on time for departure.

I went over to John, Robert, and Aaron first while Dawn went to Demi and Roric.

"Thank you so much. Both of you." I said to John and Robert, opting to hug them. I had already made today into a hug day. Might as well continue after the giant change.

"Call if you ever need anything." Robert whispered into my ear before pulling away.

"Especially if you need a handy man." John smiled.

"Naturally." I returned the gesture, then looked at Aaron who no longer seemed intimidated. I addressed him, "I'm sorry for being rude to you. You're actually a nice kid. I don't doubt that you're off to do very important things for a cause I don't fully understand yet."

His mouth dropped open before he stood up straighter, "I'm hoping I do a good job."

"I'll pray for you then." I said, suddenly realizing how extremely awkward that felt to say. Sure, I would. I wasn't sure exactly what praying would do for him still, but I would pray nonetheless.

"Thank you." He smiled, seeming to remember how Demi's offered prayer had started this whole ordeal for him.

I gave him a nod before moving to where Roric and Demi were. Their eyes were both intense, as usual. For what they were about to do when they left here. Full of what this good bye meant to them.

Wordlessly, I hugged Roric. His grip was strong. I returned it full force, working through the pain of knowing I wouldn't get to spend all tomorrow talking with him. Wouldn't be able to joke around with him, something I was still getting used to. He pulled away, holding onto my shoulders, "I really didn't give you a good encouragement earlier, did I?"

"Maybe you shouldn't." I warned, hinting at how it would end the same way as our walk.

He gave a wry smile before becoming solemn, "Live in the present. Don't stay in the past and don't wander off into the future. Emotions are real, but that doesn't mean you should let them rule your life. If you're feeling bad, do something for someone else. Talk to God about it. I don't care about if you think it sounds like a stupid idea. Do it. And don't keep it secret. Tell someone if you're struggling. Communicate with everyone- with yourself, with us, with strangers, and with Dawn. Don't just leave here and go back to old habits. Be disciplined. And never, Paul, stop fighting the good fight."