Chapter 6: Pushing

Chapter 6: Pushing

Dawn stayed late at the church. The sun had set hours before she got back to the Pokemon Center. I had no idea what could take a person so long in such small buildings, but I wasn't really up for inquiring why she felt inclined to stay.

I was sitting in a chair in our room when she got back, Piplup balancing precariously on her head and her eyes sparkling with a radiance I'd never seen light them.

"What happened to you?" I asked, shocking myself. I couldn't help it. She was brimming with something I couldn't decipher.

"I had such a good time." Dawn's eyes met mine and I flinched away, "We prayed for what felt like hours and we talked about God and how great He is and read some stories in the Bible. I couldn't believe how much time had passed."

I wasn't sure how to feel about her excitement. I didn't understand it. I'd never seen her that incredibly happy about anything- not ribbons, not Contests, not even her Pokemon or people she was close to.

Dawn seemed to realize how wary I was, my abrupt departure possibly flashing through her mind as she steadied herself into a calmer tone as she took Piplup off her head and placed him on the ground, "What have you been up to?"

"Reading up on Mt. Pyre." I threw the book onto the desk.

"Anything interesting?" Dawn asked, walking over to me and picking up one of my hands, letting her small fingers brush against my palm. It tingled pleasantly and I felt myself relax.

"No. Nothing." The book had been a waste of time. I was looking for possible theories as to why rock slides would occur on that great of a scale, but couldn't find a single piece of evidence.

"You know I love you, right?" Dawn said softly.

I looked up at her smiling face with that same sparkle I couldn't place. It was untrustworthy, "Yes."

"And that I don't care what you believe, right?"

I sighed, "You really should."

I felt her pull away, "What do you mean?"

"People with different opinions, tastes, personalities, and beliefs- total opposites- do not match." I said firmly.

"I've thought about that, you know." Dawn said.

"It should be a constant assessment." I stated.

"You're right, it should, but it also shouldn't sound like a threat." Dawn sighed, then put a few fingers on my cheek, making my look up at her again, "You're so good at pulling away, Paul. I'm not attacking you. I'm here for you. You don't have to tell me everything yet, but I do want to learn about who you are and who you were. Otherwise, how can I learn to love you more?"

"Learning more would make you love me less." I admitted, regretting it.

"No." Dawn shook her head and leaned closer, "The thing about true love is that, when it's real, you love the person regardless of what they've done."

Our noses were almost touching she was so close. Her eyes had fluttered shut and I could feel her breath against my face. My hands ached to reach up to her hair, run through the silky texture, pull her closer. Instead, I spoke softly, "It sounds like you're preaching to me with your feminine charm. Sounds like a sin."

She pulled away, dazed before frowning, "I was being serious."

"I know." I said apologetically, "And I can't be serious about that. That's my point."

I stood up slowly, noticing the hurt in her frown. I wrapped my arms around her, "I do love you, Dawn. I just can't promise I'll react well to everything you say related to that."

Her head rested against my chest. I heard her small voice, "What happened to you?"

It was eerie, hearing her ask like that. I rested my chin on her head gently, "I don't talk about it."

"Will you to me sometime? Please? I want to help." Dawn said, sounding desperate.

I closed my eyes, "You've helped a lot without knowing it. I owe you my thanks."

"I want to help more."

"You're stubborn." I smiled, then looked at the clock for a distraction, "It's time for bed."

"I'm not going to forget to keep asking for your story." Dawn warned.

"I know."

"You said that persistence is a good thing."

"It is." I really couldn't believe how lucky I was to find a girl who didn't give up, regardless of how stupid the venture.

"Good. We're on the same page." Dawn stood on tip toe and kissed me gently. For the first time all day, my heart felt thawed.

We both finished getting ready within minutes. I pulled the covers up, staring at where I knew Dawn slept across the room from me, invisible in the pitch black. She was light enough for me in the darkness.

Hey Readers!

I know this chapter is pretty short. One of my favorite chapters of this book is next though, so get excited! Either way, I hope quality is more important than quantity anyway and that you enjoyed it. Tell me what you think. :) 

Pokemon Question of the Day: If you had to be one, would you be a Coordinator or Performer and why? 

I hope you're having an amazing day! 

Thanks so much for reading.

-Flips