Chapter 11: For Progress's Sake

I was only in the garden by myself for a few seconds before I heard small feet make their way towards me.

"I don't want to talk about it." I said harshly.

"What about to my brother? Would you talk to him?" Demi asked.

"I don't even know him."

"So? He wouldn't judge you for anything. There's no reason not to tell him things."

"I'm about to lose all the patience I've built up if you continue talking about this." I warned her.

"I'm just trying to help. I've lost my mom and dad. Don't you think I know what it's like?" Demi paused, "You were close to him. He taught you not to be scared, but you still are."

"Stop talking." I said loudly. I took back kind of liking her. She was a pain.

"I'm just trying to-"

"Stop. Talking."

Demi opened her mouth uncertainly. I knew she was hurt. I didn't need to be an aura reader to know that.

"I'll tell the others you've left because you're busy. I won't tell them about what I saw." Demi said quietly.

"Thank you." I answered stiffly, giving her one last glance before descending down the hill. I felt her eyes on me the entire time.

When I got back to the Pokemon Center, I decided to battle. My brain needed to focus on a task. Unfortunately, all the Trainers passing through were amateurs. I beat them easily, without trying. I could have beaten them without giving any orders and with my Pokemon blindfolded, which reminded me of Demi showing off with her stupid bandana. My anger at her flared again, not only for her incessant questions, but because she was the only one I'd battled recently who'd been a challenge. A mere nine year old, a challenge in so many ways.

I decided to take a walk, going towards the outskirts of the valley to get my mind off of her. Perhaps if I changed scenery, I would be able to focus on happier things. Perhaps happy memories were the key to healing.

The trees surrounded me. Taillow twittered, hopping from branches as Wurmple wormed their ways along branches. The sun filtered in through the leaves, the wind waving through them. The forest was friendly. If only my thoughts were.

I took a deep breath and focused on my uncle, going back into my childhood.

"Well, are you coming, or are you just going to sit in the guest room all day reading?"

I looked up from my book to see my Uncle Ben standing in the doorway. It was the first time I'd ever visited by Uncle by myself. He didn't live too far away, but he wasn't always at home either. My mother always forced me and Reggie to visit, but never for an extended period of time and never all alone.

"I want to finish this book." I stated, lifting the pages back to my eyes.

Uncle Ben strode over to me and took the book gently, but without my permission. He studied it, "This is a chapter book and you haven't even started Kindergarten yet."

"I like to read." I reached for the book, but he held it out of my reach.

"Your mom tells me you don't go out and play with anyone. You just sit in your room by yourself and read." He said gently.