Chapter 30: Resurrection

            Paul

            What if I was wrong? What if this was a trick? What if I was getting my hopes up? I kept asking myself as I ran, pushing past low hanging tree limbs, almost tripping on roots. I kept being optimistic just to be let down. What if I was wrong?

            I stopped suddenly, remembering the last time I'd let head games get to me.

            Ecruteak. It better not be another waste of time. The first three gyms in this region were pathetic. I thought to myself as I walked north. I would make it to Ecruteak City in about an hour and head to the gym, which I'd researched thoroughly. Ghost types. Not the easiest type to handle for beginners.

            But I wasn't a beginner.

It was still early in the morning. I'd made good time, not that I had anything to slow me down. Traveling alone was the easiest way to travel. I didn't see how people could form groups and go together. It wasn't even worth having people to crush in training battles prior to gym matches like this one.

            I rolled my eyes and continued forward along Route thirty-seven. A disturbance in the bushes to my left caught my attention. I stopped walking and looked at the rustling leaves, wondering what kind of Pokemon it might be, guessing it'd be a Bug type. That's all there ever seemed to be in Johto around this area and I was tired of it.

            The bushes continued moving and it sounded bigger than the normal Bug type. Possibly a Scyther. Possibly worth catching.

            I took out Grotle's Poke Ball, ready for battle.

            A figure emerged from the foliage. I stopped breathing. I couldn't move.

            I don't know how much time passed before I was able to speak, almost not daring to, "Uncle Ben?"

            My uncle smiled at me before turning around, strolling casually through the trees. He seemed to slip through them with ease.

            "Wait- come back!" I yelled urgently. He was dead. I was told he'd died. I'd watched him being lowered into the ground- or did I? Was it just an empty casket? Had I been lied to? "Uncle Ben!"

            I ran after him as fast I could. My eyes widened as I searched for him frantically, trying to find him, "Uncle Ben!"
             I hear footsteps to my left. My head bolted up as I rushed to the spot where I'd heard the noise. I caught a glimpse of his hand, the hand I'd seen holding pencils so many times. A hand that had held me. A hand that made sure I never fell.

            The hand disappeared behind more foliage.

            "Why are you running from me? Answer me!" I demanded. My heart pounded against my chest. Was it him? Why would he leave me? Why had he left? He'd lied...

            I ran faster, finally gaining ground. He seemed to be walking leisurely, and yet I couldn't catch him.

            I'm not giving up. I refuse to let you leave me. I thought furiously, my arms pumping at my side. I'd never run with this much urgency before.

            Instantly, he was right in front of me, faster than humanly possible. I skidded to a halt, forcing myself to not run into him. His eyes looked into mine, sympathetic. Who did he think he was, showing sympathy to me, when it was him who'd caused me pain? Who was he to show up all of a sudden, when I'd been forced to fend for myself with him gone? What did he mean to me, to look at me like that, like I'd just forgive him for abandoning me when he was all I'd had? He couldn't honestly believe I was happy to see him. That I could forgive him for these years of suffering alone.