Chapter 10: Ghosts

Chapter 10: Ghosts

I sat down with a sandwich, noting how the crust was cut off. It felt like someone's mom had just made me a sandwich, but it'd been John. I looked over at Demi, expecting her to have half her sandwich stuffed into her face, but she sat there waiting patiently, her hands folded together and her eyes beaming at me.

"Oh, that'd be cute, don't you think?" Demi commented and puffed out her cheeks as if they were full of food, "I'd look like a Dedenne! Oh, I love Dedenne! Aren't they cute, Paul?"

"The cutest." I said dryly, hearing Dawn hold in a giggle. I kicked her gently underneath the table.

John sat down with his own food and clapped his hands together, "Alright! Who wants to say grace?"

Not me.

"Me! Me! Pick me!" Demi raised her hand, her chair wobbling with her enthusiasm.

"Go for it." John chuckled.

Everyone bowed their heads and closed their eyes. I looked down, staring at my hands and listening.

"Dear God." Demi breathed, "Thank you so much for my new friends and that we all get to have lunch together. They're very nice and I think you're going to do big things through them. I really hope so. Thank you for this meal that we get to share and please be with all the hungry people in the world and the people that are hurting. Show them how much you love them, Daddy. Oh, and be with my brother as he goes and talks to people in town today. Help him do your will. Amen!"

"Amen." John and Dawn said together.

I looked up, noting everyone's smiles again. What was it with these people and their smiles?

Demi then dug into her sandwich, giggling pretty madly as if it was the funniest thing in the world. Dawn started laughing, "Wow, Demi. You're really cute."

"Oh, I know." She said after swallowing.

I rolled my eyes. Kind of arrogant if you asked me.

"Oh, I'm just truthful." Demi commented on my thoughts.

"So what's your brother doing?" I asked, changing the subject.

"He's going to talk to people in town about what they believe about God. He said he was going to go alone because God wanted him to, so I didn't go." Demi explained.

"And how does he know God wanted him to do that?"

"Because we talk to God all the time." Demi took another bite of her sandwich, seeming unconcerned.

"And He talks back?" I asked.

"Yep. He's really funny, you know. Once Roric said Jesus said that he was the best comfort food ever. You know, since he's Jesus and comforting."

"Wow. So you both really hear from God?" Dawn asked.

"Yep."

"Since you can hear my thoughts, I'm just going to say it." I said, putting down my sandwich, "I don't believe you."

"Oh, I know you don't." Demi said.

"You're just imagining things."

"Oh, I love imagining things, but this isn't imaginary." Demi explained, "He answers my prayers."