Chapter 23: Lies

Chapter 23: Lies

Paul 

I woke up to find Demi's fascinating, big eyes inches from my own.

"Good morning." She greeted happily.

I scooted away, making sure my body was no longer touching her, "Morning."

"Thanks for keeping me warm all night. That was so nice." Demi said, then looked at me sheepishly, "I didn't mean to fall asleep against you, you know."

"No problem."

Salamence groaned and began shifting his weight as he woke up.

"Good morning, Salamence!" Demi rubbed his belly. His groan changed to content humming.

Demi looked around the field, greeting all of her Pokemon. I counted them, "Demi?"

"Yes?" She looked up from petting her Togekiss.

"Where's your Dedenne?"

"Oh. With Luxray."

"And where is Luxray?"

"They should be back soon actually."

"From where?"

"I sent them to track down my friend's things."

"You never explained who your friend is and what was lost. Or how, for that matter." I stood up and crossed my arms, suspicion growing.

Demi stood up and blinked in surprise, "Well, I can't. It's my friend's stuff and my friend didn't want me to talk about it."

"Why?"

She shrugged and had that innocent expression kids used to get out of trouble, except hers would be classified as particularly adorable by most. It didn't matter. I wasn't falling for it, "I'll figure this out, you know."

"Well, I mean I guess he wouldn't mind me telling you." Demi wrung her hands together, but then looked up, "Oh, there they are!"
I followed Demi's line of gaze as Luxray strolled slowly towards us, some sort of bag slung to his side. Peachy was perched on his head. He jumped off and dashed towards Demi, who ran to meet him. Peachy jumped and she caught him, spinning him around while hugging him to her cheek until a spark of electricity caused her to stop.

"Oh, I missed you!" Demi squealed, "You need to tell me everything that happened."

While Peachy seemed to be exchanging a mental account of what had happened, Luxray stopped near me, inclining his head politely. It seemed like he'd forgiven me for being rude to Demi. But I was more interested in the satchel that was hanging from his side. It looked very familiar.

Without asking permission, I took it from around his neck, holding the worn leather up to inspect it. The material was old. I held it up to look at the bottom right hand corner, finding a set of initials. B.L. The initials of my uncle. On a satchel that looked exactly like his, the one he took every time we went to draw together.

I heard Demi's footsteps as she walked over and how her eyes were plastered on me as I felt the weight of the satchel get heavier in my hands.

"Where did you get this?" I asked, not even knowing who I was asking.

"Why?"