Chapter 18: Wish You Well

"You're right, I don't like this plan." Dawn said an hour later.

"Well, this is how it needs to be done."

We were standing on the hill yet again, close to the forest. Demi had Peachy perched on her shoulder. She shifted back and forth anxiously, "I think you're right, but there's just a bigger chance he'll hurt you."

"I know." I held Electivire's Poke Ball out. Really, Pokemon could release themselves from their capsules. And he hadn't. I felt like that was a good sign. Still, as I held his Poke Ball up, I could feel my bruised wrist sting in retort.

"We're going to be in the garden if you need us." Demi reminded me.

"I know."

Dawn stepped closer to me, grabbing my left hand and squeezing it. I squeezed back, "I'll be fine."

She kissed my cheek and took Demi by the hand, glancing back at me as if expecting the worse to happen.

Way to build up a guy's confidence, Dawn. I thought dryly.

When they were far away, I released Electivire. He appeared and gave me a numb look before looking towards the trees.

"I'm not mad at you." I said.

He growled but his expression didn't change. He didn't seem to care.

"A smart man once told me that you can't force someone to forgive someone else. And I don't expect you to forgive me anytime soon." I started, "So I thought maybe some space would be a good idea. If you want some."

Electivire looked back at me suspiciously.

"I don't blame you for not getting along with me. And if you don't want me to be your Trainer..." I took a deep breath, "I'd understand that.

"So you can leave forever if you want, but for now if you just stayed around here, I wouldn't go looking for you. I wouldn't stop you. You could go be a wild Pokemon again, or get a new Trainer. Whatever makes you happy. Truly happy and not what I've made you. I'm sorry for what you've become."

I felt my eyes prickle, but refused to cry.

"But at the same time, I want another chance. One I don't deserve. And we can talk about that later if that's something you'd consider. I'll be around this church every day. But for now, I think you'd like some space to yourself. I know I would." I finished, feeling a bit vulnerable for once in my life.

Electivire studied me thoughtfully.

I recoiled as I felt one of his tails wrap around his Poke Ball and inhaled sharply. He noticed my reaction and pulled his tail away, holding it out in front of me, indicating he wanted his Poke Ball.

I held his Poke Ball out and he grabbed it, holding it up to his face to inspect. He lowered it into his palm as if cradling a baby, his eyes pained as he lowered his hand towards me. I took the Poke Ball back and noticed that he still looked torn about a decision.

"You don't have to make one now." I whispered, "I really have hurt you. I know that. And I don't blame you at all for hurting me. I do deserve to be hurt for that."

Electivire grunted and turned towards the trees, running. I watched until I couldn't see him anymore.

I held his Poke Ball up, knowing I couldn't force him to forgive me.