Chapter 15: Starter

Chapter 15: Starter

Before beginning lunch, Demi wouldn't let me touch my food until we prayed. Then, halfway through the meal, she noticed Aaron sitting alone, nibbling on a sandwich. Without my consent, she grabbed her tray, urgently asked me to come with her, and jogged over to Aaron's table, where she politely asked him if she could sit down and join him. I decided not to put up a fight, knowing she'd force me if I refused to switch tables. I just wanted to eat my lunch in relative peace, so I followed her, knowing I was already getting less peace than I desired.

He seemed just as shocked by her behavior as I did, but said yes. I sat down without asking for permission, which caused the shy boy to scoot unconsciously away from me despite being across the table, diagonal from him.

"So how's Vibrava?" Demi asked.

"Nurse Joy says he's going to be absolutely fine." Aaron said cheerfully, "But he's resting right now, though I think after lunch she wants him to go out for some sun."

"We're going to do the same thing with Paul's Salamence." Demi announced, "We should go together."

Aaron's mouth dropped open, "You have a Salamence?"

"Yes. Is that so hard to believe?" I said, my voice a tinge venomous.

Aaron gulped, "No, it's just... wow. You must be a very strong Trainer."

"He is." Demi agreed, "But he has a lot to learn."

My fist tightened around my fork. Aaron noticed and didn't say anything.

The two children talked, Demi leading the conversation and asking polite questions about Aaron, which he answered in an almost formal tone, like he wasn't used to people asking so much about him. Or perhaps he wasn't used to people caring and thought that by being on his best behavior, Demi would continue to be friends with him.

I was fairly certain that she would befriend criminals without giving it a second thought, so really, if that was his fear, he should change it to the little girl across from him being murdered just for being too friendly.

"Yeah, I went to public school before being a Trainer." He picked at his plate, "But really, I didn't have any friends."

"Well, that stinks. You're really nice. Those kids must not have known how great you are." Demi leaned back and crossed her arms.

"I don't know."

"Hey, we're friends. You can't say you don't have friends. Plus you have your Pokemon too and they love you."

"How do you know?" Aaron asked, baffled.

"I just know."

I mentally rolled my eyes, but yet again wished she'd stop saying that.

"Well, thanks."

"No problem. It's only true, after all." Demi smiled, "Well, I guess we need to check on the Dragons. Meet us outside, Aaron. We'll be right there."

We cleaned up our table and went our separate ways. I glanced at Demi trotting next to me, "I never said he could come."

"Well, you need my help. So you're stuck with the two immature kids." Demi said. I could sense a bit of angry defensiveness from her and decided not to continue the subject.

We walked back to Salamence, who let out a happy, yet weak growl when I opened the door.

My heart released tension I hadn't even know I'd had as his eyes softened, "Hi, hatchling."

His tail whipped once in irritation, but he smiled. I remembered Demi was standing behind me, probably restraining herself from speaking for once, "Salamence, this is Demi. She's going to help get you outside."