Chapter 35: Change

Chapter 35: Change

            Roric walked next to me, his eyes crinkling in concentration as I told him what had happened the night before. And then he was smiling, "It seems like you really did hear from God."

            "You think so?"

            "Well, don't act suspicious. I know that's what you believe. Your eyes haven't lit up like that since I've known you. I know that look. And I knew you'd heard from Him before you told me, Paul." Roric said gently.

            "How am I supposed to tell the difference between God and random voices?"

            "That's a very good question. Really, people should be cautious. You never know if Satan is trying to mess with you. People forget that it's not just all rainbows and lollipops. We are at war." He paused, "Well, the war is already won, but it's a war nonetheless. One that is still going on at this current time."

            "What do you suggest?"

            "Read the Bible. See how God talks. What He's like. What is good and what's not. He stays the same and won't change, so don't expect God to tell you it's ok to do something you know He's said no to. God doesn't insult people when He speaks. He's patient, kind, and loving." Roric nudged me, "But He also will get a bit gruff sometimes if you need it. Believe me, I've gotten the bluntness before."

            "I can't believe I actually believe the things you say." I said, feeling very far away as I thought.

            "I guess that's why it's time then." Roric murmured.

            "What?"

            "Your Salamence's brace comes off today, correct?"

            I thought back to Nurse Joy's last check up and the date she'd indicated, "Yes."

            "Well, God spoke to me last night as well."

            "And?" I asked suspiciously.

            "And Demi and I need to leave." He looked away as if looking at me was too much.

            "Why?"

            "I'm not sure, but Aaron is coming with us. At least for a while."

            "Why Aaron?"

            Roric stopped walking and inspected a tree trunk before looking at me, "That's what God wants. Aaron is the one who said he felt like we all needed to go to Lilycove."

            "Lilycove?" I repeated, trying to decipher why, "What would you do there?"

            "I don't know. We just need to go."

            "You're just going to go there?" My voice rose.

            Roric's eyes softened, "It wasn't just Aaron. I got a call from a group of friends saying they were in Lilycove this morning. That they felt like we needed to be there."

             "So what does that mean?"

            "Well, it looks like we're heading out tonight to find out." Roric stated simply.

            "Does Demi know?"

            "She does. I don't think she's taking leaving well. She wants to go where God wants us, but..."

            "I understand." I said quietly, "I suppose there's no real reason for us to stay here anymore if you're leaving."

            "I think that's your sign to move on too." Roric put a hand on my shoulder.