Chapter 25: Rivals

Chapter 25: Rivals

A sleek, blood red Scizor stood in front of Roric. They both had the same body posture, a stance that seemed unmovable.

I released my own Pokemon, deciding to start with Weavile. I was boiling with anger. It didn't matter that we had the type disadvantage. We would win, regardless. Besides, we had some new moves that we'd been practicing. And Weavile was eager to prove his strength in battle, to show that we were just as much of a team as they were.

Roric noticed the intensity of my expression and smiled lightly, "You're really taking this seriously."

"Battling is my life." The words felt odd. It'd been awhile since I'd said that. I mentally shook my uncertainty, vowing that this battle would change things. Would make me a better Trainer.

"I guess we'll see if you're right." Roric gave a curt nod, "You get the first move."

"I don't need your help to win." I sneered, "You go first."

"Fine. Scizor, Double Team."

"Taunt."

A black shadow flies towards Scizor, stopping him from creating illusions. He clicked his claws together impatiently.

"Fine, we'll go right into attacks. Bullet Punch."

"Ice Shard."

Both were first priority moves, but Weavile was faster as he sent the icy chunk at Scizor. The ice slammed into the insect-like body, Scizor stopping to recover.

"Power-Up Punch." I ordered. It was risky, Weavile setting up to gain offensive power. But Weavile were fast and it was worth the chance.

"Bullet Punch." Roric said.

The two Pokemon sprinted at each other, claws glowing and raised. They met, a cloud of dirt exploding. It quickly cleared to reveal Scizor and Weavile had both flown back, but had landed on their feet.

Expected. And now Weavile's attack power was higher.

"Power-Up Punch again."

Weavile kept low to the ground, a blur. Scizor was ready, both of his claws glowing a lethal, poisoned green as he got ready to use Bug Bite.

I studied how Scizor relied so heavily on keeping his balance, "Sweep at the knee."

"Time to use your wings."

Scizor jumped high, his wings vibrating to life as he hovered fifteen feet in the air. Weavile jumped, but not in time to land a hit as his claws swiped at empty space.

"Ice Shard."

"Double Team again."

I frowned, wondering if Taunt had worn off. Right as the Ice Shard hit, ten more Scizor were occupying the battle field. I held back a swear.

"Use Taunt and then listen carefully for the real one."

This time, Taunt was too late to make the Scizor go away, but at least he couldn't use Double Team again. Weavile stood in the middle of the field, eyes closed.

"Finish it with Bug Bite."

All the Scizor flew at Weavile at once, the sound of twenty wings blearing in our ears. Suddenly, Weavile jumped to the left, rolling to dodge, skidding upright as he used Power-Up Punch, smashing into the nearest Scizor, making all the others disappear.