Chapter 9: Search

Chapter 9: Search

My dreams were a bit less haunting during that nap and my full night's sleep. Dawn slept close, a peaceful presence every time I'd stir, assuring me that all was well, though mostly I was so far gone that I wouldn't wake if a Pokemon battle started in the room. I woke up once during the night, breathing fast after a memory slipped into my dreams.

It seems like you smile the most around things you consider to be dead and scary. The words echoed in my head. I'd hugged myself to Dawn, who didn't wake, and forced myself to stop thinking about ghosts, memories or Pokemon. I fell back to sleep, nothing else disturbing my slumber.

Without opening my eyes, I knew it was pretty late in the morning by the time I felt fully awake. I stretched partially, moving my head closer to where Dawn was situated. I heard her adjust her own head and leaned forward a bit, placing my lips on her forehead.

It took me less than a second to realize my lips were not touching human skin.

My eyes shot open to discover that I was kissing what looked like a dark blue cantaloupe. I abruptly pushed away, my eyes honing in on Piplup and his gigantic head, his eyes wide as he stared at me in absolute fear.

I didn't even know what to say. He was frozen in terror and I was frozen in disgust. We kept staring at each other, breathing fast, my hands practically aching to push him out of the bed and onto the floor. My voice wanted to yell at him. My eyes desired to burn holes through him.

"Not a word to Dawn." I said with malice, "Get out of my bed."

"P'lup" Piplup squeaked, rolling so quickly that he fell onto the tiled floor. I heard his feet skid as he scrambled towards the door.

I rolled over so I was on my back and put a hand over my eyes. Never again would I ever kiss that stupid penguin. I brushed my other arm against my mouth and got out of bed, wondering where Dawn was.

I found Dawn talking to Salamence in his special room. He seemed pouty. Really, I hadn't visited him at all yesterday except after my night for a few minutes. I'm sure he wasn't happy with me.

"Hey," I put my hand on his stomach, rubbing it tenderly where I knew it'd be comforting. I could hear him fighting back contentment as I continued, "I'm sorry for not visiting you yesterday. It was a bad day. I didn't sleep well."

Salamence looked at me suspiciously, then at Dawn.

"Told you." She said.

He then gave me a worried look.

I snorted, "Don't act as if I'm too weak to handle it. I'm fine. How are you?"

His snort was much more impressive considering black wisps came from his nostrils.

"Hey, Salamence. Guess where we're going today." Dawn said in a sing-song voice, "The church!"

Why? He seemed to ask me with his expression.

"Paul tells me he met this little girl there who kept talking to him about feelings." Dawn continued.

Salamence grinned toothily. I rolled my eyes. At least that was so amusing that no one would guess that we battled. I didn't want to explain that.