Chapter 16: Punishment

My mind was still swimming with emotion from my own problems, but I decided to follow Electivire. Really, he was my responsibility and I should be putting him first anyway. Otherwise, I shouldn't be a Trainer. I let those thoughts of being a good Trainer overtake my mind so I could ignore the past.

I walked quietly among the trees, pausing often to listen for my Pokemon who didn't seem to want to be found. After twenty minutes, I felt his presence above me and looked up, spying one of his wire-like tails hanging downward.

"Electivire." I said softly.

I heard a grunt as he shifted his weight.

"Have you been thinking of the past as well?"

His body dropped down right in front of me, his red eyes glaring at me as he slowly straightened up to purposefully be taller and more intimidating.

"Why has this bothered you so suddenly?" I asked. I pictured the Primeape and Mankey again, images from his mind that Demi had allowed me to see.

He growled at me, a deep, building threat.

I refused to step away despite his anger. I could tell he would hurt me if I went too far and decided to sit down to appear less threatening, keeping eye contact. His eyes were still full of hurt. I took a deep breath, "Things are bothering me that haven't for what seems like a long time. I understand what you're going through."

Electricity sparked and he slammed his fist into the tree behind him, a crater denting the bark. Fury sizzled off of him in droves. I remained absolutely still. Electivire breathed quickly and bared his teeth, seeming to wait for a response.

"I won't treat you that way ever again. I can promise that." I knew what he was thinking. I didn't have to read his thoughts.

He snarled and got closer to me. I didn't flinch. My emotions were cut off so I would remain calm if he snapped.

"What do you want from me?" I asked quietly.

I felt his tail coils snake around my limbs, one around each of my wrists. My hair stood up on end as he made contact with me, the electricity thrumming inside him. I felt my body being pulled up so that I dangled off the ground. My heart beating faster- if I fought, he would attack. If I didn't, the results would be similar.

"Electivire, this isn't like you." I said, the slightest hint of uncertainty present in my voice as I stared at his determined eyes. His tails wound tighter around my wrists, burning, as he held me at eye level.

"I want to talk about this. Why do you think I'm here?" I decided not to remain calm anymore, despite how badly I disliked sounding desperate, "I'm not the same Trainer I was when we first met. You know that. Why are you suddenly acting like this?"

He growled and I felt a small shock, wincing.

"Electivire!" I heard someone yell from behind me.

Electivire's eyes narrowed. I turned my head as far as I could to see Demi, who had her mouth open as she studied us. She took a step forward. Her expression became solemn, "Put him down. I won't hurt you."

Electivire let out a laugh, feeling as if she was a puny threat, before lifting me higher.

"I don't want to be in your mind, but you're not really leaving me a choice if you won't talk." Demi warned.