Chapter 21: Undoing

Chapter 21: Undoing

Dawn and Aaron were in the field wearing worried looks as Demi and I came out of the forest. Demi skipped ahead of me and hugged Dawn and grinned at Aaron, telling them not to worry. She still didn't mention anything about what she'd been looking for in specifics, which I found odd.

Aaron and Demi decided to go off and play a game which gave me the perfect opportunity to talk to Dawn who had been looking at me curiously.

"What's wrong?" She whispered to me as we walked farther away from the church, too close to the building for comfort.

"I feel like there's something going on that I don't know about and I don't like it."

Dawn glanced back at the church before her eyes honed in on me, "I think you're being paranoid."

"Things are really weird." My eyes narrowed in concentration, "The abnormal wind, the rockslides caused by Ghost Pokemon, this little prodigy girl who can read minds who won't tell me what she lost in the forest..."

"She's nine."

"She could be a little manipulative liar."

Dawn scoffed.

"The truth is Dawn, I have no idea what's going on. And that's a first." It was really driving me crazy, "One of my Pokemon is hurt, Electivire went on a rampage and I don't know if he's ever coming back, and there's my state of mind as well. So yes, maybe I'm paranoid. But you have to admit all of this is a little overwhelming."

Her eyes softened, "Of course it is. There's no reason for you to get defensive."

I realized how rigidly I'd been holding my body and relaxed, trying to take a few deep breaths.

"I'm surprised you admitted all that, Paul." Dawn stepped forward and hugged me, "You're changing a lot."

I hugged her back numbly, feeling like I didn't know if my changing was good or bad. It was more like I was being pulled in two directions, worn down to a fray on both sides. It was exhausting.

"It'll be alright." She whispered against my neck.

"I'm staying here tonight to sleep outside." I felt her shift in confusion, "Demi made me promise to have a sleepover. It'll be good for Salamence to be outside more."

"Ok. That's a good idea." Dawn wrapped her arms around my neck and studied me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"John invited me to his house tonight for dinner to meet his wife."

"Oh."

I knew what that meant. More praying. More smiles that I didn't know what to do with. At the rate this week was going, his wife would have wings and they'd be trying to convince me she was one of God's created angels.

"Oh, you're just being silly now." A small voice made me jump and I felt Dawn's arms unwind from around me as we both stared at Demi, who had somehow gotten close without being loud, "Just because someone has wings doesn't mean they're an angel."

"And how would you know that?" I felt the urge to sneer but held it back.

"Volcarona has wings but he's not a Flying type." Demi argued.

"So?"

"So just because something has wings doesn't mean it's an angel." She blinked up at me, then looked at Dawn, "You should go to John's house. He's really really nice and he makes good food. Plus he loves you like a daughter."