Chapter 34: Wholeness

Start from the beginning

Footsteps made me look up. Dawn was finally walking towards us, still looking unsure if she should come near us.

Before I could say anything, Electivire took a few steps forward, moving past Demi and Riley. Dawn fearfully looked at him, but didn't move, "Hi, Electivire."

He stopped suddenly, grimacing before smoothing his face, Hello, Dawn.

I'd heard him almost call her human in my head, but doubted Dawn would have caught it or could hear that deeply into his thoughts. I frowned. Did he not really like Dawn? Sure, he hadn't really been around her, but I thought that was because he liked to keep to himself. I questioned him mentally and he had to force himself not to brush me away before replying, I will explain later.

I saw Dawn stiffen at being addressed through thoughts. She wasn't as used to it as I was, "...So how are you?"

I think what you really want to know if I've decided to be Paul's Pokemon or not. Electivire said, I am.

Dawn took another step forward, hugging herself a bit, "No, I really want to know how you're doing."

I felt his surprise, which he pretended otherwise, I'm better than I have been in a long time.

"That's great!" Dawn exclaimed, her eyes shining. Truly, it was a beautiful sight. Her excitement for others. But then she looked confused, "So... is there something you needed to tell me?"

Electivire shuffled, Just that I will be trying to get to know you better in the future. I have always acted like you were not a worthy Trainer, but in truth I was jealous of your Pokemon for how easily you bonded. Something Paul and I didn't have. I've moved past that.

"Oh." Dawn said awkwardly, "Well I want you to be comfortable and part of our family."

Family?

"Well, yeah. Seems like all our Pokemon and us are family. Right? We're all traveling together..." Dawn trailed off.

A rush of pain and a wary hope made its way through me, I guess you're right.

"This is so great!" Demi said happily, "I'm so happy for you all."

Electivire seemed content.

"Well, no offense you guys, but we're really hungry and wanted to go eat." Demi patted her stomach, "Want to all eat together and then go our separate ways? I won't linger for once."

I couldn't help but chuckle, "Of course."

Dawn walked past Electivire, patting his arm soothingly, before hugging me. I pulled her close, closing my eyes. Today had been an amazing day.

"Come on guys! Come on!" Demi tugged at me.

Dawn laughed, but I frowned down at Demi, "I haven't hugged my girlfriend all day."

Demi sighed impatiently, "Why do I have to know so many people who say stuff like that? You can hug her inside. It's dinner time!"

Dawn slid her hand into mine, "She's right. We should go."

"What's so important inside that we need to go in right now?" I asked suspiciously.

Electivire had been talking to Riley privately, but looked up in caution.