Petekey: One Time I Asked For Title Suggestions

Ship: Petekey

July 14, 2016

AU: Artist au in which Pete is a really messy painter and Mikey is an abstract drawing perfectionist.

*One year prior*

Pete opened his letter from the Art Society. He scanned it quickly, looking only for the important stuff.

He was chosen to be an honourary painter. Blah, blah, blah. He had to paint with the artist of their choosing. Blah, blah blah. One hundred thousand dollars! Who the hell did he have to work with for a hundred grand?

"Who the fuck is Michael Way?"

Mikey opened the letter that came from The Art Society. He read every word of it, they usually weren't interested in his type of work.

Michael Way,

The National Art Society has chosen you to be an honourary artist for the M.G. Hall museum. We have observed your work and chosen an artist who we find will be compatible with your art style. You will be paid one hundred thousand dollars for your participation. The artist we have chosen is Peter Wentz III. You have one month.

"Why him? I really need rent money."

*One week later*

"Hi, I'm Pete!" Pete stuck out his hand to Mikey, who opened the door in his usual outfit, pyjamas. "You're Michael? I think we'll get along."

"Right..."

"So what's your style? They chose us cause we're compatible right, so you must do something with a lot of colours."

Pete walked into the house uninvited and stopped dead in his tracks as he saw the artwork hanging on the walls. "What is this?"

"It's abstract, it's whatever you want it to be."

"Well, I think it's boring. And there are no colours!"

"I don't use colour in my art."

"Ugh. Well, that's going to change."

*One week before deadline*

"Hey, Mikey, catch!"

Mikey looked over as Pete threw a handful of blue paint at him. He scoffed and took the paintbrush he was working with and Painted a large red stripe down Pete's face and shirt.

They threw paint and paintbrushes to no end, until it got on the painting. Pete's eyes widened as he saw a large purple spot on the otherwise black and white canvas.

"Oh shit fuck. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Mikey, fuck. I ruined it!"

"No no no. You didn't ruin it. Look." Mikey smashed a handful of red paint on it. Pete didn't understand. He fucked up so bad that Mikey must have gone mad. "It makes the possibility of what it could be even greater!"

"Huh?"

"Before, it was black and white. You can only see so much in black in white. Now, with the color, you can see so much more!"

Twelve A.M. came.

Then two A.M.

Then five.

"You got any coffee?" Pete yawned at Mikey.

"Uh, yeah, probably..." Mikey got up and stumbled to the kitchen. They'd been working on it all night. Despite what people think, abstract takes more work than just putting some lines together. "Found it!"

"Yay!"

Mikey made two cups of coffee, downing half his cup on the way back to the messy living room. "Here you go."

Pete happily took the warm glass and barely stopped to take in the scent before it was gone.

They stayed up until seven, but they finished it. It looked amazing. It had all the colors you could think of and a few they were pretty sure they made themselves. All they had to do was take it to the museum.

*Opening night of the gallery*

"Slowly!"

"Okay, okay. No need to freak out over it, I'm not going to hurt it." Pete slowly hung the painting on the nail. "Is it straight?"

"You could move it slightly to the left."

Pete did so. "Too far."

"I moved it like an inch!"

"And that's about half an inch too much."

"Fuck. Fine." He moved it a half inch to the right. "Better?"

"I guess it'll do." Pete got off the platform and stepped back to look at his work.

"What is that supposed to be?" A snooty man in a top hat asked Mikey.

"It's abstract, it's whatever you want it to be." Pete snapped before Mikey could say anything. The man turned his nose up at it and left.

Mikey laughed. "Stop stealing my line."

*Presently*

"Whatcha doing?"

"Don't ask stupid questions." Mikey was bent over the desk, making sure the line he drew was perfectly straight.

Mikey wouldn't admit to him, but Pete swore he could see himself in many of Mikey drawings.

"Well, it's kinda late."

"Yeah. Stop hovering."

"Can I stay over again?"

"You stayed over last night."

"But I don't want to drive home in the dark."

"Fine. Why don't you just move in?"

"Thanks Mikey!" Pete grabbed the blanket that somehow always ended up on the floor and sat his laptop up. "Hey Mikey?"

Mikey turned his music up, maybe he could drown Pete out.

"Hey Mikey?! Mikes! Micheal!"

"What?! Goddammit Pete!"

"You wanna watch a movie with me?"

"Fine. I can't concentrate anyway." Mikey got up from his chair. Moving to the couch. Pete smiled and patted the couch beside him.

Mikey sat down with a huff. "This is a kid's movie."

"But it's the best damn kids movie ever. It starts dark, then it's colorful, then it's dark again and, all around, it's beautiful." Mikey didn't complain any further.

He's not sure when he fell asleep, but he remembered Pete cheesily faking a yawn to put his arm around him. He didn't complain, he just leaned into Pete and lay his head on Pete's shoulder.

He woke up with Pete's arms around him. Pete was still asleep, his breath coming at a steady pace. Mikey smiled and got more comfortable, listening to Pete's steady heartbeat and fell back asleep.

A/N Yay! I updated again! This one was pretty long, but it would have been done sooner if hadn't distracted me.

Anyway, how was it? Did you like it?

I couldn't think of I title, so if you come up with one, I'm happy to hear it...