Thirty-One

Louis

As we all sit around her hospital bed, I notice that Blake's eyes started shifting underneath her pink colored eyelids. I've also noticed that her heart rate has slightly sped up.

She's awake. Why hasn't she opened her eyes?

"Blake," I call softly. "Honey, open your eyes, I know you're awake..."

Slowly her eyes peel open. She Squints her eyes as they adjust to the bright hospital lights.

As soon as they are adjusted, her eyes sweep over the room and the lads. He eyes cast downwards and I can see the fear slowly creep onto he'd features.

"Blake-" I'm cut off as the doctor knocks on the door, before entering.

"Hello Ms. Bradley, I'm Dr. Hoyle. I've just got a couple questions now that you're awake. If you're up for it, that is.

She nods.

"You are twelve years old?"

"Yes," is her reply.

What? I thought she was 10? Whoops. This is news to me.

"These boys are your guardians?"

"Yes,"

"Where are you from?"

"Here, Bon Temps."

"Are you allergic to anything?"

"Peanuts,"

"How long have you self-harmed?"

"Six years,"

"Do you regret it?"

"No, I made me feel better."

Oh, god. I can't listen to this anymore. I politely excuse myself and exit the room before another question can be asked.

I walk down the hall and approach the men's bathroom.

I go to the end sink and just stand there. This is a lot to take in in a short about of time.

Inhale, exhale.
Inhale, exhale.
Inhale, exhale.

Over and over.

I hear the door open again, but I don't acknowledge them until his hand rests on my shoulder.

It's Haz.

"Everything will be okay, Lou. Now that we know, we can start healing her."

"She's so young, Harry. We shouldn't have to heal her! It's not fair!" I shout, pain evident in my voice.

"Life isn't fair. But we have to be strong for Blake to get through this! She needs us. Our little girl laying in that hospital bed. Connected to all those wires, and machines, needs us. We can help her get better. But that can only happen in time. Give it time, Lou. We can't give up."

"I will never give up on her. Never."