(12) Sometimes Bedroom Walls Are My Only Friends

Gerard
(A/N: after editing a few chapters I forgot I mentioned Bob texting Frank about H or Heroine so I'm using that now)

****MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING ON THIS CHAPTER****

Work was busy and Frank was off a bit. My phone kept buzzing in my jeans pocket and by the time eight rolled around, I had to clock out. Frank understood I was leaving and said he'd text me.

As soon as I stepped out of the warm restaurant, the chill of night blew through my ivory black strands of hair. I pulled a cigarette out of my pocket and lit it with a match before pulling out my phone.

36 new messages from Bert

It took me everything to open my messages. The last one read; meet me at the old apartment.

And that's what I did. I chained smoked four cigarettes on the twenty minute walk to the dingy apartment complex that made it obvious that prostitutes, drug addicts, and the poor souls caught between it all. (A/N: I lived in an apartment complex like this once. There was a meth lab explosion)

The boards that made up the stairs were stone but the wood that structured the building was peeling and molding a bit. The smell of mothballs was putrid and clung to the air like a parasite to a poor host. Moss was clinging to some of the stone steps and the iron rail was peeling and rusted. The second floor didn't look any better but some of the door frames seemed to hardly keep its own weight up.

The third floor, only two apartments were built here. Some porn star and Bert. Anxiety built in my stomach, grasping my throat with its spindly fingers, trying to choke me. My younger, nineteen year old self was staring me in the face, sneering at me with disgust. Almost like I was asking myself what am I doing back here.

Before I turned, the door on the left opened, revealing my fears. It was like a train hit me head on with everything flashing before my eyes. His hair was greasy but he still looked cold.

Like he never knew anything but pain and evil.

"Well? Are you coming in?" He asked, moving aside, motioning me in.

I really didn't have a choice, did I? I was here. I have to face my past, right?

A small nod was given to him as I walked for what seemed like heavy boots weighing me down for eternity when it was just a few seconds in reality.

Bert closed the door behind me, causing me to flinch. He had a beer in hand and the room smelt like vomit or cat piss. Somewhere between the two. The underlay smell of alcohol and weed was hardly noticeable under the other scents but it was still there.

It was disgusting and I don't know how I was able to live like this.

An arm wrapped around my waist from behind and I tensed up. I found the strength to break away from him and turn around.

"You look beautiful as always, Gerard." He mused. His fingers trailed around my mid section, sliding dangerously low. I broke from his grasp and shook my head.

"Why do you want to see me?" I strained, my breath speeding up. A dark scruff decorated his face, lips hidden in the prickly hairs. His mouth started to lift a bit, curling into an innocent looking smile.