Chapter 10: Blue Shadow Virus

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Rex. Have you been sleeping recently?" Anakin asked him with "genuine" worry. You sipped your caf and read the Holonet news on your datapad, but paused to hear Rex's response.

"... Yes, General," he said, brows knit together in confusion. He didn't suspect a thing. "Why wouldn't I have been?"

Anakin licked his lips, and you knew the mischievous gleam in his eyes. You smiled into the mug of your cup as Rex was oblivious to everything but his food.

"I was told you haven't been in your bunk," Anakin said with a frown.

Rex froze mid bite. He rolled his shoulders and continued casually. "I've had things to do."

"Oh, things like (N)?" Anakin said. What started as an ungodly snort turned into you spitting your caf out as you erupted into choking laughter. Rex's mouth was wide open, cheeks burning and expression mortified.

Kicking Anakin's shin, you said, "You slimo! Don't mess with Rex. He's been busy filling out your damage reports." You wiped your face with a napkin. "That little joke nearly killed me."

Anakin swore. "Force, (N)! Do you know how much that hurt?"

"Yeah. That's why I did it," you said flatly. Rex was confused and embarrassed. He didn't know if Anakin actually knew or if it was just a joke. Thankfully, Anakin played it off like it was just a joke and he didn't know anything. Rex thought it was a close call, and you wondered if you should have just told him.

When you found out Naboo was in trouble a while later, you knew going home to Coruscant would be pushed back once again. Padmé would risk her life to protect Naboo, and Anakin would do the same for her. You loved the beautiful planet but loathed the Gungans, and were dreading an encounter with Jar Jar. You soon forgot about your dread because Anakin decided to tease Rex the entire way to Naboo. Even so, best moment was definitely when you three were in the mess hall. That was something you'd never forget.

Contaminated

"Ahsoka, why didn't you close the security door?" you yelled, panic clouding your judgement. You had held the doors open so everybody else could get into the room, but Ahsoka, unwilling to let you sacrifice your life, continued to hold them open. When you jumped into the place and the doors slammed shut behind you, a thin blue cloud rose into the air. Tears sprung into your eyes. "Shit, Ahsoka. By holding the door open, the virus got inside!"

"But, master," Ahsoka started, eyes wide and full of heartbreaking tears. "I didn't want you to catch the Blue Shadow Virus."

Rex and the others watched, and you could feel their fear, and the horror Rex felt seared your heart. Despite his attempts to catch your attention, you didn't have the strength to meet his eyes. Instead, you focused on the child. You held up your hand and sighed. In the red light, you smiled sadly at the Togruta.

"Forgive me, Ahsoka. I know you only tried to do what was right," you said, embracing her tightly. Everything had gone according to plan. Padmé and Jar Jar had been rescued and all the bombs were deactivated, the mad doctor Vindi was captured by Anakin, and Rex and Ahsoka were unharmed. You thought that Naboo was safe, that you were safe. But, when the alarms went off and you were warned about a stray droid with a vial of the deadly virus, you never imagined it would actually get its hand on a bomb and activate it. Now, it looked like you were going to be another victim.

Since you were the first one hit by the virus, it invaded your system quickly. You already felt weaker, and kept suppressing coughs. Despite the quiet, fretful chatter between the other troopers, you heard a shaky, strangled sigh escape your lover's lips. Finally bringing yourself to look at him, your eyes locked onto Rex's, his worry basically palpable.