6:happy birthday to me

Michael pov

Fuck why did I say that. She looked me in the eyes and said.
"Well done michael have a great life." And with that she left.

I stood there paralysed trying to understand what she meant. "Have a great life" replayed in my mind over and over again. Until it clicked.

I might never see her again.

I jumped up and ran out the door. It was dark out but I found my way to a bridge. I sighed in relief as I saw her.

But infront of the rails staring at the rough current.

Was she going to jump.

April pov

I stood up and loosened my grip on the rail. It was quite beautiful how the water ran along the river bed.

I closed my eyes and let go.

But the water never came.

I looked up at michael. No.
"Let go" I screamed.

"No I'm not letting you commit suicide" he shouts over the loud water.

"What's the date." I say looking into his eyes.

"What. It's January 5th That doesn't matter" he says confused as he tries to pull me up.

"Exactly" I whisper
"Let me go" I shout one more time. But he won't budge.

"No you're not dying today" he yells.
"Why. It's my birthday wish" I say.

He managed to pull me up. I don't know how because I weigh a ton.

After I'm over the bar I try and push him away but he tackles me to the ground in a hug.

We stay like that for a while. I gave up trying to brake free he's just too strong.

"April. Why" michael said letting me go.

"Because I don't matter you said it yourself" a single tear fell from my eye.

"No I said that about the date" he says

"Exactly. And what happened 16 years ago today" I say looking at the ground.

" I it's it's your birthday" he says with a wash of guilt covering his face.

"Happy sweet 16 to me" I laugh sarcasticly.

"April I'm so sorry I forgot and made you feel like killing yourself on your birthday" he says now silently crying too.

"It's okay I'm used to it" I said still looking down.

"Wwhat do you mean" he asks.

"Mum never said happy birthday to me she didn't care. You left and broke your promise and I've been suicidal for 4 years. Because my life is one cruel joke where everybody hates me and I. Hate. Me. Too." I smile softly pulling up my braclets.

I hear a gasp as mikey picks my wrist up to examine the cuts and scars.

"It's all my fault" I hear him whisper.

"NO." I shout. " It wasn't just you"

" I I was bullied everyday at school verbally then ph-physically. So I changed. I started drinking,c-cutting and did some bad stuff. Mikey" that's the first time I called my brother by his nickname in over 3 years.

He pulled me into a hug and whispered the word sorry over and over.

We pulled eachother up and walked back tho the bus.
Before we opened the door mikey turned to me.
"April promise you won't try again. Please " he said

"I won't make a promise I can't keep but I'll try" I smile.

"Okay" he smiled.