[22] "Promise?"

* Important Author's note below*

Harry.

"And why would I thank you?"  I clench my jaw.

"Without my help of finding her penthouse, you wouldn't have found her."

"And, I wouldn't have lost her if it wasn't for you too. So shut your fucking mouth Richard." I say harshly as I maintain my tone.

He sighs.

"I don't need bullshit on Christmas Eve."

"Harry-"

"Have you forgotten what you did? What you told her? What you did to me? Just for the sake of your goddamn company?" I whisper harshly. "How many fucking times have I asked you those questions?" I say through my teeth.

I exhale as his words replay in my mind. Do I have it in me to forgive the bastard? 

And the thing is, he helped me find her but I lost her in because of him in the first place.

I tug on the ends of my hair, my jaw clenching.

It has always been about Ella. Always been.

This is what love does to humanity. It either breaks us or makes us.

My phone begins to beep, shattering my train of thoughts.

"Harry, Merry Christmas!" Niall cheerily says. I could tell he had a glass of champagne with his erratic voice.

"Merry Christmas mate." I mumble. "Are you in Mullingar or New York?"

"Mullingar. I'm with Greg and Theo." I hear Greg obscurely saying hello.

"Are you in Cheshire?"

"Yeah." I sigh deeply.

"Alright, what happened?" He can sense my tone.

"Nothing." I don't want to bother him on Christmas. "I'll uh, see you in New York. Merry Christmas."

"Alright." And with that, he hangs up.

I'm out here at Nicole's row house. I've been contemplating whether or not I come in or not, and my decision's made when I see a car park in the driveway, and she immediately locks eyes with me as soon as she gets out of the car.

Her fumbling hands with her bag to retrieve her keys is my cue to walk up to her. "Nicole, can I please talk to you?"

She avoids my gaze but I feel she's rolling her eyes. "Harry." She sighs. "I've let go of you alright? Now will you please leave me alone."

"What do you mean?" I ask as she finally opened her door, and I step back.

The chilly December air nipped at our skin as she allows me to come in her home. The warmth of the house

"I know you're here to apologize." She drops her bag on her sofa and she gestures for me to sit down next to her.

Now that I'm here, I feel stupid for my loss of words. I couldn't say anything. All I could say was 'sorry' but it won't be sincere anymore.

"Are you angry... are you angry at me?"
I ask. "Be honest please."

She sighs heavily. "No. It was just heartbreaking then."

"I know it was." I look down at my hands and fiddle with my rings. I couldn't bear to look at her eyes.

"You told me that you loved Ella after I said I loved you." She pauses.