[10] Claustrophobia

Listen to 'Not About Angels' by Birdy and 'Shiver' by Lucy Rose while reading this chapter. Fits perfectly.

-

He then takes another deep sigh, looking down his hands. "Ella.. I'm getting married."

The moment the words fall from his mouth, I felt my heart fall down to my stomach, my mouth feeling instantly dry and my palm covering my chest, my heart accelerating.

I couldn't speak, my mind started to race, asking all the possible questions mentally 'to who?' 'when?' and 'why he's truly replacing us?' and why... why did he tell me this way?'

With all the words I wanted to scream from the top of my lungs, I managed to harshly say normally, "This isn't fair."

He begins to stutter. "I couldn't-. I didn't know how."

"How could you tell me this way?" My chest tightens, the thick air choking me. "What do you mean you didn't know how? How could you not know how?" I say much louder, as I pick at my fingernails.

"I didn't know how to tell you, without you thinking I'm replacing you and your brother. And bre- breaking this family further in your eyes." He speaks softly, avoiding my eye contact.

"This-this is so unfair." My voice begins to crack, I swallow, holding back the tears forming in my glossy eyes.

"I'm sorry." His face falls into a frown, his brows furrowing.

"Sorry's not going to fix anything." My voice projects, cracking further. "How could you just fucking tell me you're engaged out of nowhere. How inconsiderate can you be to just fly here. To fly here in New York and just tell me you're going to get married?" I took a deep breath, and I hadn't realized I began to sob, tears racing down my cheeks.

"I thought-"

"You think it's easier to tell me this way?" I sniffle, swallowing harder preventing more tears to drop. "You think it's harder to accept that your Dad is going to get married without even knowing he was seeing someone else?"

"How does Mom feel about this?" I shouldn't be saying this but being sympathetic I couldn't help but spare a thought for my Mom's feelings.

"She- she supports me." He says lowly.

"She's lying." I hastily wipe my tears. "How would you feel if you're seeing someone you love wearing a ring for someone else, promising eternity and love, the same thing that person promised for you?"

He stays quiet, picking at the sides of his fingernails, a habit I inherited. He looks defeated, a frown taking over his features.

"You're so unfair and inconsiderate." I hastily grab my purse not bothering to ask who he's getting married to. I couldn't care less at this point. "You didn't ask for my blessing but I guess go ahead. I can't do anything about it anyways."

He opens his mouth to say something, but he closes it.

I take a tissue from my purse wiping my tears, "Don't apologize now, I'm not going to be able to forgive you."

I walk out the door, slamming it behind me. A lady with her husband comes out, as I assume they heard a commotion but I didn't care, I just looked away from their gaze.