Chapter 13 - Beer Before Peers

(Congrats to Queensland! State of Origin winners, yet again!)

Chapter 13

Whenever anything got bad, family meetings were always called. Say like in movies when people have to move house or parents are getting a divorce or your grades slip, family meetings always get called. Dad, being a low-key melodramatic called a family meeting the day after we got back home from Townsville.

This wasn't the family meeting you were thinking of though; this wasn't between Dad and Mum and me and Eve. No. This was a meeting between the family Dad had established; this was a family meeting between the siblings of Australia. This was a family meeting between the territories and states; myself, South Australia, Victoria, Western Australia, the Northern Territory, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory or rather, myself, Sophie, Charlotte, Michael, Jedda, Wiley and John.

Mum had done a runner to the Gold Coast for the weekend. She had taken Eve with her but had left me behind so I could undertake my state duties and be present in the family discussion. I think she would have taken me if it weren't for the importance of me meeting with the rest of the country. Things did tend to get a bit awry when the whole family was gathered under one roof; my siblings were extremely rowdy so I didn't blame Mum for wanting out.

"Waltz, do you reckon we order pizza or we just do a barbeque?" Dad asked as her frowned with great concern at the contents in the freezer, "I know Charlie's been adamant that she sticks to her bug-protein diet but last time we got pizza, half the pieces ended up on the ceiling Wiley and Michael had seven beers each."

"Honestly Dad," I put my hands on my hips, "we could just order two Subway platters and avoid the time and mess issues."

"Alright!" Dad grinned as he passed me his Iphone27, "You get the order done and I'll set up the table."

Dad had the easy job with setting up the table; all he had to do was lay down a table cloth because frankly no one ate Subway wraps with cutlery. My job was harder; I had to call up, order two standard platters and then plead that it was ready in less than an hour. It was the perfect time to abuse the power of being Queensland.

"Hello," I rang up the local Subway restaurant, "My name is Matilda Kirkland, I was wondering, I am so sorry about this, if you could make me two platters in an hour and drop them off at my house?"

"Honey, of course!" the lady on the other end of the line sounded ecstatic, "Along the Wynnum esplanade, right?"

"Yeah," I replied bashfully, "The big house in the centre. I am so sorry for the late order; it's a really sudden occasion. I would have called earlier if I had known earlier."

"It's absolutely fine." the woman assured, "We got enough staff on to do up an order and hey, if it gets hectic, we'll just close up the shop for a small while."