Moving on

Another week later

Dominic's pov

"Makayla it has literally been two weeks. Please stop trying to tell me I need to move on." I heard McKenna yell. The girls were upstairs, and the guys were downstairs.

"McKenna stop yelling at me." Makayla yelled. We heard a door slam, and McKenna stomped down the stairs. She opened the front door.

"Where are you going?" Micah asked. She shrugged and kept walked. He got up, and we all decided to follow her. She was walking only for a little while before we got to the park. We had to hide because she sat on the swing looking around.

"Dude she looks hurt." Lucas whispered.

"She's just thinking," Micah whispered back.

"McKenna! I knew you'd be back."

I turned my head to see the one and only Miguel. Micah tried to jump up, but I stopped him, pulling him back into hiding.

"Why do you always seem to pop up right when Logan pisses me off?" She asked him.

"Well, I don't know this Logan, but remind me to thank him." Miguel smiled. McKenna didn't.

"Ha Ha," she mimic laughed before rolling her eyes. "Get out of my face. I came here to get away from annoyances."

He didn't move, so she got up. He grabbed her arm, ruffley pulling her back to him. She kicked him between the legs. He crouched over in pain. When she walked away that time, he didn't bother her.

She walked into the ice cream shop across the street. We walked in and sat in the seats where her back was to us. We used the menus as face guards. I felt like a low class spy.

"How did you know I love ice cream Logan?" Some girl asked Logan as they walked in holding hands. McKenna glanced at him, but she kept eating her banana pudding flavored ice cream. I didn't even know they had that until she ordered it.

"McKenna?" Logan asked as he walked up to her table. He completely forgot about the other girl.

"I just told you literally ten minutes ago to pretend like I didn't exist. Why can't you understand English? I don't want you." McKenna said.

"That was harsh." I mumbled.

"Well, at least you told me you didn't want me instead of ignoring me like Dominic does you." Logan nodded. I was the one who got up then. Micah pulled me into the bathroom, and Lucas and Tray followed.

"Calm down." Tray told me.

"He's trying to get back in her head. He always used me to get into her head, just like Drew." I exclaimed.

"Damn. You might be her kryptonite." Lucas uttered. He might be right.

After cooling off for a while, we walked back out. McKenna had left. We ran outside to see her entering a book store.

"Do we have to go in there?" Tray asked.

"Yeah we might spontaneously burst into flames." Lucas agreed. Micah didn't argue.

"We're going." I stated as we entered the building.

We walked upstairs. That's where all of the good books are.

"Where can I find Paper Towns?" I heard McKenna ask. We ducked around the corner.

"It's in the NYTBS category around the corner right past the psychology text books." The man explained. She nodded.

"That's a weird location." She mumbled, but she walked towards that direction. We followed. Even from our distance, I saw Drew looking at the books.

McKenna stopped and looked up.

"I hear you God." She said. I laughed. She believes in all of that "this is a sign" stuff. I mean, I believe that if God wanted something, he'd tell us directly.

"McKenna, I haven't heard from you in a while. Let me guess, you haven't been getting my texts."

She smiled, "Nope."

They both laughed.

"Why are you in a book store?" She asked him

"Textbooks. These shits high as hell." He shook his head. She smiled.

"Well, good thing I've been saving up. I got $5,642 in my account now." She said.

"Damn." Lucas said. We all ducked as their heads turned. So she has a secret savings?

"You still going to Emory in the fall?" I heard Drew ask.

McKenna sighed, "I'm feeling like getting out of Atlanta. Maybe University of Miami or Florida State."

I looked at Micah. His eyes were wide. I could tell it was also his first time hearing this idea.

"You trying to go to another state? Damn. Who done pissed you off? You have been in love with the idea of Emory since I met you. Then you got early acceptance into their school with a scholarship, but now you're giving that up? I know something is wrong." Drew said.

"I don't want to be in Atlanta anymore. I'm just tired of it." McKenna stated.

"How does Dominic feel about that?" Drew asked.

"He doesn't give a fuck about me." McKenna said. Why would she think that?

"Dude you have to go tell her she's wrong." Micah whispered.

"But you told me to stop fucking with her last week." I whispered back.

"That was before she said she was moving to Florida. Go out there and kiss her or something!"  He whisper yelled at me.

"I'm not going to just go kiss her. She probably would diss the fuck out of me anyways." I whispered back.

"Well let her diss you. It's better than letting her think you don't give a fuck about her." Micah stated.

"Micah you told me to stay out of her life, but when she decides to move, all of a sudden you want me to just kiss her and make her stay in love with me." I told him.

"Exactly nigga." Micah said. I glared at him.

"I'm not going to play with her heart like that for your selfish reasons. You were right: I don't know how to love her. I'll let her find someone that does." I told him.

"She had someone that knew how to love her, and she still chose you." I looked at Micah confused. We both slowly looked up. Drew and McKenna were standing over the bookshelf that we were crouched behind.

"Damn. I did, didn't I?" McKenna mumbled.

"But you two were just basically made for each other. Don't just give up on your love when times get hard. There's a such thing known as talking." Drew said.

"I haven't given up." I mumbled, realizing that she had mumbled it too. I smiled, looking at her in the eyes. She smiled too.

No matter what, we'll never give up on our love.