[ 33 ] he was ready

Skylar

My feet tapped silently, unsteady, and jittery as my professor continued to write notes on the board. My eyes scanned the room. All the students seemed to be engaged in the work, copying down the notes as he wrote them. I watched each pen move accordingly to what the professor was writing. I sat there, body frozen in my thoughts. What's worst is the fact that I could feel him staring at me. I won't deny that I have been avoiding him. What happened with Tristen and I about a week ago still hadn't change my feelings. I couldn't change the way I felt, that wouldn't happen. I just couldn't find it in me to build up the courage to respond back to his messages and calls. And now I am in the center of his realm. Shook up like a fish out the waters.

"The next assignment will be online, so If you do not have my information, please come up and get it. Class dismissed," The professor announced, dropping the chalk in a tray next to his desk. All of the young adults stood and began packing their stuff. I moved slowly, hoping and praying that maybe he had somewhere to go, and if I moved like a snail, he'd just give up and go away.

The rumbles and murmurs of some of my classmates did not help me drown out my thoughts. It seems as if it actually caused more chaos in my head.

As the class began to clear out, I grasped my notebook and just as I was about to place it in my bag, the clear page caught my attention. Crap, I hadn't written a single note since I got here. My lips sunk into a frown and frazzled, I simply tucked the bare notebook in my bag.

"Skylar," And there he was. I lifted my head gently, unable to cover my face because my hair was pulled back into its usual ponytail.

Ryan stood before me, his shoulders were broad but there was something about his stance that lead me to feel as if he was uneasy and slightly uncomfortable as well. But the miniscule smile made up for it. I watched as the dimples kindly graced his face as his soft blonde tresses were set around his face.

"Um..Hi." I choked out, my already wet palms clamped on the handle of my bag.

"I don't know if you're busy or not but do you mind if we just...talk for a bit?" This is what I've been avoiding. This is it. It was crazy to know that beyond everything and after all I've done to him, he's still willing to be here by my side and have a conversation with me. I've ignored his calls and messages, why?

Because I didn't know what to say if he asked me what was wrong. I didn't know if it was a great idea to pour all my thoughts and emotions out to him. Would he even care? Hearing me talk day in and out about a certain someone would get tiring and bored after a while.

And it didn't help that Lily and Maddie have told me that they've seen Tracy around school, flaunting around like she didn't just try to ruin a potential relationship. It didn't help one bit that the school rumors have been super juicy this week about who's dating who and who is just a third wheel. I'm not sure what's been going on but I've been doing a great job with purposely pulling myself from the loop.

"I..."

"Please, Skylar, you've been so distant lately. I just want to talk," It didn't help in my favor that his cute dimples were on display, as well as the pleading look he held in his eyes. Give him a chance, it's the least you could do.

Leisurely, I found myself nodding and following him as he began walking out of the class and into the hallways. He made a right turn, and that only lead to a nearby court yard that I knew little people every visited. Most people used the court yard in front of the school.