[ 26 ] hot bad boy

Skylar

"So not only did he ask you out, he was so nervous that he couldn't even speak?" Lily questioned and she spooned around with her ice cream sundae. A day had passed since Tristen officially asked me out and even though I'd been ecstatic, I am still a little skeptical about whether Tristan can completely break things off with Tracy. I mean, they have history.  History that ran deep. I felt wrong stepping in and trying to claim him as mine but I want him. I want us to be in a relationship. I want us to go out on dates, talk to one another, and really get to know each other. I want to know more about his family and I'm sure he has some questions about mine as well.

I just don't want any complications. And if I didn't want that, then Tristen needs to break it off with her. I know that she's been through a lot, and I know that she's still holding onto him as her support but they're toxic for each other, his words, not mine.

Lily had come home this morning but Maddie was still nowhere to be found. I tried calling her cell all this morning and at noon but to no avail did it help with us locating her. I know that Maddie has a temper and I completely understand that she could be hurt by Lily speaking her truth, but I just seriously wanted to make sure that she was okay. At the end of the day, she was my friend. And I for one didn't appreciate her leaving without a trace to find her.

"Yup," I smiled at her, biting a piece of my vanilla ice cream sandwich. I'd been craving something sweet all day so when Lily messaged me to meet her at the new ice cream place that opened around campus, I didn't want to say anything but yes. "He also told me about his past. Well a little of his past and the details of his relationship with Tracy," I said, remembering all the horrid things she'd had to endure at the orphanage.

"Relationship? So he's dating her while trying to date you?" Lily asked. Sighing deeply, she stabbed her sundae. "I told that fucking idiot that he needed to stop playing with your heart and now he has you in a love triangle!"

"What?" I pondered. "There's no love triangle, Lily." I chuckled, smiling at her now dented sundae. "They used to date a while back, but they've known each other since he was about eleven,"

She gasped, completely dropping her spoon and gaping at me. "Eleven? He's like what? Nineteen or twenty maybe, that's like nine to ten fucking years, Sky!"

"Nineteen," I corrected. I knew his age because last night, we'd decided to have small talk while eating before I ultimately fell asleep, completely forgetting that I had homework. When I awoke in the morning, Tristen had been gone, but not completely. He left a note stating that he had some business to take care off and things to do. And he'd also sent messages throughout the day just to make sure I was holding up correctly.

"Yeah and that's a whole lot of time!" She pronounced. "Wow, Sky, I'm all for this, but just be careful. History like that doesn't just completely vanish away. It takes time. Are you willing to stay by him if he can't let her go?"

Was I? Was I ready to accept that maybe he'd never let her go. Maybe if we were to get together and I met his family, she'd be there. His family is already used to seeing him with her, would they even accept me? I don't think I'd get a friendly welcome from them. I don't even think I'd get so much as a glare from her either.

But even as my thoughts belittled me, I squared my shoulders. "I believe that if he cares about me enough, he'll understand that I am just as important to him as she may be. I'm not forcing him to choose between us, I just want him to commit to me if he wants to be with me," I said my truth. This wasn't about who could get Tristen and keep him. I wasn't trying to trap him into being with me. I wasn't trying to manipulate him either. This was as much his decision as it is mine. "I'm taking it slow, I don't want to rush things," I told her.