SAMPLE [ 09 ] familiar

STORY WRITTEN IN 2016 under revision

Skylar

We're passing houses, apartments, stores. Everything. But I don't know where we are nor where we're going. I have never gone this way before and I am really unfamiliar with this area.

I turn to Tristen, looking at his profile as he drives. He has one arm resting against the window while the other steers the steering wheel. The muscles in his arm clench with every movement he makes. His eyes are shades darker in the car than they appeared outside. His dark curls fall gently around his chiseled face and his jaw tightens.

In a quick second, he turns to me and catches me as I watch him.

Immediately I turn away, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks. He's going to think I'm weird for watching him. That's so embarrassing.

"Why'd you turn away?" His voice bellows around the calm atmosphere in the car.

My hands rub against each other in my lap as I try to control the sweat glands that I can already feel seeping through my skin.

"Um, no reason. I just--"

"Don't like making eye contact with me." He finishes for me as we pull to a red light. There was absolutely no cars on the four way interception but us. He takes this moment to turn completely towards me. "Why don't you like making eye contact with me?" He ponders, letting his hand on the wheel falter. He brings it close down to my arm and trails his fingers down my skin.

"I...um..." Speak like a human. Not a broken robot. "I'm....nervous...and you're unexpected."

The corners of his mouth twitch. "I'm unexpected?" He smirks. "How?"

The light turns green but he doesn't remove his hand from my skin. He simply uses his other hand to work the wheel as he jerks the car into motion once again.

The wind that passes by curls my ponytail around my face and I mentally thank the heavens that I could finally do something to distract myself.

But he's still looking for an answer, even as I am trying to hold my ponytail from completely covering my face.

"I mean, you do things that I would never expect to happen, between us." I elaborate. "Like..." I want to not stare at him but remembering the events of tonight just make me stare deep into him. "when you suggested we go for a swim...I don't really like the ocean. I can't swim and I was super scared. And then, one thing led to another....and..." I was topless and we were making out.

I don't have the guts to finish off so I wait until he catches on, which he does and the smile on his face is naughty and teasing. "And we had fun."

Fun.

His definition of fun and my definition of fun were two different thing.

I did enjoy it, but it was way out of my comfort zone and something I'd never tried before.

While I try to collect my thoughts, a parade of lights capture my attention before me. The truck slows down and outside there are many vehicles lined up on either sides of the vast road. Guys troll around with cans of beers in their hands while girls rock short skirts and tops that are tied to tight.