[ 27 ] lunged for me

Skylar

As my shoulders slumped for the fifth time, I've finally came to a conclusion that I was sulking. Impatiently sulking. Why? Because it's past eight. Yup, not even like fifteen minutes past or twenty, no, right now it was nine-fifty-two. Almost ten. That's two hours late. Too hours! I had called him. Twice. There was no answer. I kept trying to keep hope and just think about positive scenarios on why he wasn't here right now.

Maybe he cut himself with a razor while shaving, maybe he couldn't find the right pair to his shoe. Maybe his phone was probably lost and he'd lost the direction to my dorm room. Those were believable right? Right?  Oh who am I kidding? I don't even believe what I'm saying. I don't believe that he cut himself, I don't believe that he lost his phone and I don't even believe the shoe thing. What I believe is that I'm an idiot that will continue to get played by this guy because I'm too stupid to realize that whatever we have isn't going to gradually get better.

I didn't understand it. I'd been patient, I'd been understanding, I'd been sensitive. I wore my heart on my sleeve, carelessly hoping that he could just appreciate me and show me that he cares. But it was all just a waste of time. At the end of the day, I don't believe he cares about me. To him, this was all just a game. And I was just a pawn.

I feel so stupid and played. I should have listened to Maddie. Maybe she knew something I didn't know. Maybe secretly Tristen and Tracy were married or maybe they had kids. I don't know. I'm so hurt that I just keep randomly making up scenarios in my head.  I sighed to myself once more before shrugging off the blazer. My eyes began to feel glossy but I ignored that fact. I didn't want to admit that I was about to cry over him again. I was wasting my time, wasting my tears and more importantly, wasting myself over someone that was already taken. Dragging my feet, I dared to look at the clock again.

Seven past ten.

He's not coming.

I'd just have to accept that and officially be over with this.

The frown that seemed to be glued to my face sagged. I wasted all this time getting dressed, making Lily do my makeup along with pushing aside homework for tonight. I seriously thought that something good was going to come out of tonight. But sadly, as always I'm wrong.

The sound of my phone vibrating made me jump. The hairs on my skin seemed to stand up right as shocking nerves spread throughout my body. I jolted to get to the phone, hoping that I didn't miss the call from an important person. That important person happening to be Tristen.

As I grasped the vibrating phone in my hand, my frown seemed to deepen as Ryan's name flashed on the screen. I didn't hate Ryan. I had nothing against him. It was just the fact that I was hoping, praying that it was Tristen calling me right now instead of him. I picked up anyway though, my throat suddenly drier than before.

"Hello?" He asked, his voice seeming deeper and breathless.

"Hey," I answered, I tried my best to not sound hurt or sad but truly, I'd believe Ryan would hear past my fake cover up.

"We never set anything up for us to hang out," he said, his voice still sounding breathless. I couldn't pin point it but it sounded like he'd been running for a long time, or maybe doing other physical activities like basketball or football. I don't really see him as a basketball or football kinda guy. Ryan is in shape, but he isn't as muscular as a body builder or a boxer. Hmm... Boxer... That's reminds me of-- "Skylar? Did you hear me?" 

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I just spaced out a little. Um do you mind repeating what you said?" I fiddled around with my hair, nervously hoping that somehow Ryan would stop pressing on whatever he was telling me and just hang up. I'm not trying to be rude, but I just don't want to do this right now. I feel like I'm fighting my own tears while forcing myself to not break down.