SAMPLE [ 11 ] confidence

STORY WRITTEN IN 2016 under revisionSTORY WRITTEN IN 2016 under revision

Skylar

It was so different being in the company of Ryan. He was so open and genuine. And also very nice. We had walked to a local burger joint and he ordered a basket of fries and two meaty burgers along with a special sauce and our drinks.

I reach for the fries just as he does, causing our hands to touch.

He chuckles when I pull away. "This is the second time you have done that, Skylar."

I shake my head. "I clearly reached first." I tell him. "I think you're starting to do this on purpose."

He doesn't have any shame in his game as he pops a fry in his mouth. "Well maybe I am." He smirks. "If it gets your attention, I'll do anything on purpose."

My hands are sweaty as he speaks. Since we got here, I've been trying to finish the notes and have a healthy friendly conversation with him. But from time to time, he would always send flirtatious hints my way. I didn't know what to do with them.

I mean, he was a nice guy and easy on the eyes but I like someone else right now. I don't want to be one of those girls who enjoyed hopping from one guy to the next.

I reach my hand out again to get a fry and slowly dip it in ketchup as he speaks again.

"So, Skylar," He leans forward, removing his cap from his head, letting his golden locks hang free. Without the cap, he looks even more handsome. His jaw is defined, nose sharp, and indigo eyes so beautiful I let out a soft gasp. He seems to catch my gasp and tilts his head. "What? Do I have something on my face?" He quickly ask, his hands scanning his face like crazy.

A smile emerges from my face. "No, no, you're fine." I say, tossing my pencil and notebook to the side so I could finally eat my juicy burger.

"What was that gasp for?" He questions.

I shrug, not sure if I should say. "Um..you just have really nice eyes." He makes a face at me and I mentally slap myself. I sound creepy. "Uh, that wasn't meant to sound weird or anything, um..."

He chuckles and shakes his head. "No, it's cool. And I can say the same about you, your eyes were the first thing I saw since you started coming to that class."

I fidget a little, how long had he noticed me? He takes note of my movements. "You do that a lot as well." He says. "Are you nervous?"

I nod, surprised at how easy it was for me to answer his questions. "I don't tend to do this often and it's all new for me."

"Hmm," He hums. "It's cool I guess. You don't have to be nervous. I'm not some creepy dude who will stalk you or anything like that. I just want to get to know you and talk...maybe exchange numbers, etc., etc."

If he was nervous too, I can't tell. He is so relaxed and open. "Okay," I answer, feeling secure that he could be a possible friend or whatnot.

He smiles. "Alrighty, then." He takes his burger in his hand and takes a bite. "Tell me about yourself."

I quickly shake my head. "My life is pretty boring." It seriously was. I lived a normal life. Nothing too exciting ever happened. Well, nothing exciting that I'd like to share.

He shrugs. "I enjoy boring things." He smirks. "C'mon, bore me."

I smile a little, shrugging and allowing myself to relax in his company. "Well, I lived with my parents in a few towns past this one."

"Cyprus Creek?" He ask, his dark blonde eyebrows moving along with his question.

I shook my head, staring deep into his blue eyes. "No, the one next to that. Holland." I state and immediately his eyes blossom, the swirls of blue twinkle.