Chapter 44 - Break involuntary ties

Louis turned when he heard the scream of Liam's name and felt his heart sink when he saw Jennifer. She was covered in blood and could hardly breathe, Jennifer was hysterical. A burly security guard had his arms coiled tightly around her abdomen as she reached out for Liam, her legs kicked in the air and she just kept saying, over and over.

“Let me go, please.” She sobbed.

Jennifer was trying to pry the large hands off her stomach, it was useless against his strength. As Louis rushed towards her his eyes trailed the stream of blood that fell from a large gash in the side of her head, she was pale and her lip swollen. Her beautiful eyes were shrouded in fear and there was the deep etchings of a red handprint in the side of her face.

What had happened to her? As he watched her, glued to the floor he couldn't help but feel the pang of fear, hoping to God Harry was alright.

Louis shivered with unease as the shock wore off and he bounded towards her, arguing with security Liam threatened them and, sullenly they let her go. She wobbled on her feet and then her eyes widened as she fell into Louis arms, he held her tightly feeling her small body quiver beneath his arms.

Liam was shouting at people to move away, he sounded out of breath and Louis was taken aback by the look of sheer panic written all over Liam’s normally serene face. He was pale and his features contorted into a deep frown that burrowed into his brow, creasing his forehead.

Louis pulled away from Jennifer and took her hand, “come on,” he said as he rushed through the crowd that parted effortlessly to let them through; staring helplessly as Jennifer stumbled between the two singers. No doubt this story would be plastered all over social media within minutes.

Liam followed in bitter silence, his footsteps echoed on the cold concrete as he walked. Reaching the female toilets, Louis swung the door opened and quickly shouted at everyone to leave, Liam stood against the door watching as Jennifer held the basin tightly between her small hands and took deep breaths. Louis, whether for his own anger or to make sure no one was in the room kicked each cubicle open.

“There's no one here,” he told them but neither were listening.

Louis watched Liam as he stared, dumbfounded at Jennifer. She was wiping her eyes with tissues and splashed the cold water on her face. At first, Louis palmed off Liam's stern silence and tender gaze as concern. But as he watched Jennifer slowly gather her composure it was as if she was bracing herself to meet Liam's eyes.

She inhaled deeply and behind her messy blonde hair looked through her long eyelashes at Liam. His breath caught and he looked away, Louis knew that look. The fear of seeing disappointment or resentment in the eyes of someone you loved. The anxiety as you lift your gaze to theirs hoping to still see that same love, find the fire that you once shared. Louis knew it all too well, he and Jennifer in that moment were one. He felt everything she felt, or more, relived the agonising moments when Harry was sitting by his hospital bed, refusing to meet his gaze. Louis was riddled with guilt as he prayed to a God he didn't believe in, that Harry still loved him.

Torn from his memories he watched as Jennifer reached out for Liam and then pulled her hand away, he was an invisible party to them. Louis could feel the heaviness in the air as so much was left unspoken.

He shifted on his feet, wishing he could find Harry. The longer they were apart, the more fear that began to manifest within him. Even if Harry hated him for what he’d done, kissing Hayden, that irrelevant pawn in their game of heartbreak. Even if Harry looked at him the way Liam was looking at Jennifer, with a mixture of sheer panic and resignation.