Chapter 36 - See it's gonna get lonely

See it’s gonna get lonely

“Harry,” Valerie waved a hand in front of his face, he was lost in thought. “You need to go out the back, the paparazzi are waiting to see you and Dakota kissing, being affectionate… you know, couple things, while she has a cigarette.”

He turned his back on her and began walking away, ignoring them both. 

“Good boy,” she called out. 

Dakota followed him in silence, he waited at the back door for her. “I’m sorry about the video, kind of a dick move,” She whispered. 

“Whatever,” he rolled his eyes. Standing for a brief moment at the door he rolled his shoulders slowly and cracked his neck, “Ladies first.”

She smiled through her lashes at him, Dakota was very much like a puppy that was in trouble. They knew they were in trouble, so they look up at you with big adoring eyes hoping their cute appearance will reduce the punishment. This time however, that wasn’t going to work on him. As he opened the door a blast of ice cold air hit them, she pulled a fur coat around her tightly and shivered as she stepped outside to the smoking area.

Conveniently, there was no one else out there and she leant against the wall. Valerie stood closer to the fence, she was giving instructions to the vultures. Above the fence stood fifteen photographers, who went crazy when they saw her. The flashing began in waves of overwhelming blindness, she pretended she couldn’t see them and lit her cigarette with a fluorescent pink lighter.

Harry hesitated at the door as his phone vibrated, Louis messaged him.

You okay? Harry, I’m really worried. Fuck, where are you? That interview… I love you, okay. So much. Whatever she does, ignore it. You have me. - Lou.

Harry smiled sadly and let the door swing shut, he stood in the loud corridor and quickly typed out a reply. 

Playing publicity stunt, hating every second of it. We need to talk, I just found out something really fucked up. I need you so much Louis, be there soon - Harry

He put the phone back in his pocket and someone from wardrobe was behind him, she handed him a thick black trench coat and he pulled it on, grateful for something to shield him from the cold air. He stepped out and shivered, feeling his phone vibrate he ignored it and smiled, forcefully, as he walked over to Dakota. She nodded, thick smoke silhouetting her head and floating through the air. He smiles and Dakota without hesitation begins to pull him into her arms.

When Harry stays stiff she whispers, “Harry, you’re supposed to love me. Act like it.”

He rolled his eyes and pulled her into his arms. 

Dakota sighed pulling away, ignoring the monotonous clicking of the camera lenses. “Touch my face, kiss my bruises,” she instructed dryly. 

Harry replied, “What?”

She rolled her eyes, “Fuck sake Harry, we were just confronted on television about my beating we need to look like we’re a couple in love. A couple going through a hard time. So stop glaring at me and touch my face, sweep my hair from my eyes… didn’t Valerie say anything?” She glared over his shoulder at Valerie and then pressed the lit cigarette to her lips. 

Harry felt sick, every time he played along with the charades it became harder to feign a smile. But, somehow he pulled a smile across his tired face and brushed the hair out of her eyes. Her green eyes met him and she caught her breath. He leant closer and closed his eyes as he began to trail tender kisses down her face. He stopped at the side of her cheek and she moved her lips to his. She began kissing him.