Chapter 23 - Money is the Anthem of Success

Money is the Anthem of Success

When he opened his eyes a smile was plastered on his face, he rolled over but Harry wasn’t next to him. The night before sang in his memories and Louis stretched as he grinned, he honestly didn’t think he could love Harry anymore then he already did. But, everyday Harry surprised him more and more. Opening his mouth to call out to Harry he jumped in fright as shouting erupted through the hotel room. 

No, this wasn’t shouting it was screaming in the living room, his heart raced when he sleepily listened to the voices. Dawn trickled through the crack in the thick beige curtain and he threw the heavy blankets off his legs in an instant. Rubbing his eyes he fumbled around the floor for some clothes, all the came up with were a pair of Harry’s flannel pyjama pants and he pulled them on quickly. He was shirtless and stumbled from the room, voice hoarse he called out “Harry?” 

The yelling stopped immediately and Louis opened the double doors leading to the living area, in one seat sat Liam with red rimmed eyes and a red snapback on his head. Next to him was Jennifer she was perched with a white blouse and pencil skirt, laptop in hand and bluetooth in her ear. She didn’t smile when she saw Louis, instead she shot Liam a nervous look. That was weird, Louis thought. 

Valerie stood in the corner with the window opened and puffed away furiously on a cigarette, the smoke floated up and through the room but no one noticed it. Her hand was on her hip and she tapped her foot as she inhaled more of the heavy smoke, she stared blankly out the window. 

Niall leaned against the bar talking in hushed whispers to Zayn who was watching on, dazed. 

Harry’s eyes widened when he saw Louis and he shook his head. “I’m so sorry we woke you, Lou.”

Louis shook his head and held up a hand, “What is going on?”

No one spoke. Instead, they all looked around nervously at each other.

“I said, what is going on?” Louis voice was louder now. 

Harry turned and took Louis arm, “Let’s go back to the bedroom and I’ll explain everything okay?”

Louis shook his head, “Harry?” He could tell Harry was in a hurry to protect him from something but all Louis wanted was to show them all he wasn’t this fragile person, he was getting better. “You don’t need to hide me from everything Harry, I’m okay,” he whispered squeezing Harry’s hand in reassurance. “I’m okay,” he repeated again, not sure if he was trying to convince himself or Harry.

Harry wrapped an arm around Louis waist and turned him to quickly retreat from the room but Louis heard someone enter the room. He swirled around to see Dakota leaving the kitchen with a coffee in her manicured hand, long hair tied back and glimmering diamonds in her ears. Harry groaned in frustration and let go of Louis, he swore under his breath. Dakota froze when she saw Louis and turned to walk back into the kitchen but stopped at Louis voice. 

“Too late, I can see you,” Louis bitterly spoke. 

The room was tense but no one turned around, no one spoke. Niall stood up but Zayn shoved him back into his seat on the stool and they hissed at each other once more. 

“Louis, come on.” Harry pulled his arm urgently. 

“Let go,” Louis hissed pulling away from Harry. 

“Please,” Harry sounded desperate.

“What’s going on?” Louis hissed under his breath. 

Valerie threw her cigarette out the window and swore, “Oh for God sake, Louis sit down.” She flicked her wrist gesturing to the couch. She walked to Louis as he sat and kneeled down in front on him, she put her hands on his knees and stared over the rim of her glasses studying him. As she began to speak Liam began to fidget in his seat, Louis looked across at him but Liam didn’t meet his eyes. It wasn’t like the Liam he knew at all.