Chapter 15 - I Look After You

I Look After You 

When Niall got the call all the colour drained from his face and he swayed on his feet, with shaking legs he turned to Liam and Zayn and said what he never thought he’d ever have to say in his lifetime. “It’s Louis,” he began. 

“Thank god, Harry found him?” Liam said smiling but when he met Niall’s face he stopped smiling, “What’s happened?”

“Louis in hospital, he overdosed on painkillers.” Niall dropped into the chair next to Zayn and began to cry. 

“What?” Zayn asked. 

“He, Harry found him, overdosed.” Niall said. 

Liam and Zayn said nothing, they both stared silently and then Liam opened his mouth with a somber expression on his face, “He’s okay?”

“I don’t know,” Niall replied quietly. “Harry hasn’t told management he didn’t even call me, it was Oliver the driver… Harry’s gone to the hospital with Louis.”

“Well, we need to be there,” Zayn stood up. 

They left Liam’s hotel room and rushed down the corridor ignoring Jennifer as she called out to them, Niall cried the entire car ride to the hospital and Zayn was silent. Liam buried his face in his hands to hide the tears the erupted down his tired face. At the hospital they were ushered through a side door and walked in silence following a small nurse. All the boys were pale wearing strained expressions and Niall was wrought with worry not only for Louis but for Harry, how would he be handling all this? 

As they rounded the corner Niall spotted Harry sitting with his knees pulled up on the chair and his chin perched on his knees. Getting closer Niall noticed Harry was soaking wet, “Harry?” His voice was gentle. 

Harry stood up and the moment he saw the three boys he burst into uncontrollable sobs. Liam rushed to wrap his arms around Harry who buried his face into his shoulder. Zayn just looked on with Niall helplessly and a few nurses were watching them curiously from further down the corridor. Niall glared and they quickly rushed away. 

“It was awful,” Harry mumbled. 

Liam was pale and looked so tired, Niall didn’t know where to stand or who to talk to he just looked around frantically for any sign of Louis but the door they were standing outside of was closed, Louis name was on the door under the number and Niall felt his stomach tighten. 

“Will he be…” Niall began. 

Harry pulled away from Niall and shrugged, “I don’t know,” he whimpered. 

Liam and Zayn helped Harry back to his chair and he quietly recounted what had happened, he was heaving with sobs as he told of finding Louis cold and lifeless on the floor. Tears streamed down Niall’s face as he listened, feeling guilty for not finding Louis when he went searching. Feeling the regret of not slapping Dakota in the face when she was mouthing off to Louis all the times that led up to this critical moment. 

Zayn too was watching on in horror as he listened to Harry, often reaching out to pat Harry’s back but pulling away. He stared down at his feet and Niall squeezed his shoulder in silent reassurance. 

The hospital was cold and clinical, fluorescent lights and the smell of disinfectant riddled through the air. White walls with navy seats and shiny grey floors that stretched on for what seemed miles to Niall. He hated hospitals and a chill ran down his spine as he tried to stay calm and not lose it in front of the boys. He needed to be strong for Harry, they all did. 

“This is our fault,” Liam said with a shaking voice. 

“No, mate, it’s not… none of us could see this coming.” Niall replied sternly, yet deep beneath his strong facade he too couldn’t fight the blame that was boiling beneath his pale skin.