Chapter 41 - Keep your heart close to the ground

Keep your heart close to the ground

Louis sat with Zayn, he tried to ignore the hammering of his heart in his chest and the sinking feeling that would no subside in his stomach. Something was wrong with Harry, he couldn’t put his finger on it but Louis knew, he knew Harry better then he knew himself.

Louis sat in the booth forcing a smile and feigning interest in the conversation, Zayn was watching him out of the corner of his eye. Ever since he and Harry broke up the boys had seemed to make up some sort of roster system, shifting who would be with Louis at all times. It was sweet and warmed his heart to know they cared so much but at the same time it was driving him insane, how was he supposed to get time with Harry? All the tears he had cried throughout the day were gone and what was left was the empty shell of who he once was.

The sudden shift of his world came unexpectedly and Louis still didn’t believe that after everything he and Harry had been through, they could be over. He stared at the label on his beer, picking at it aimlessly with his fingers. He watched as Harry swayed and danced with Dakota, grinning and laughing. Louis felt bitter, numb. Harry was stumbling and each time he tripped Dakota would grab him, swat at his shoulder and help him stand upright.

Louis watched them anxiously, Harry being that drunk was a typical sign to the boys he wasn’t coping with reality. He drank to excess, like they all did to escape but tonight seemed worse then normal. When Dakota would try and kiss Harry he would push her away, Louis watched as she tried again but people on the dance floor moved into his line of sight and he couldn’t see them anymore. He swore under his breath.

Shifting in his seat he felt so constricted in his tight blue shirt and skin tight jeans. He stared down at his dirty white TOMS and smiled at them, Harry had drawn smiley faces on the tops and his heart sank as he remembered. 

As the song changed, so too did the effortless movement of the crowd, Louis shook his shoulders in a pointless attempt to relieve the tension. He stood up heading to the bar again and Zayn called out but he waved him off. Standing at the bar he just watched the people, smiling and greeting anyone who wanted to congratulate him on the album, the upcoming tour or god forbid his recovery. He rolled his eyes as a shiny couple from Los Angeles promised to throw them the biggest party in town next time they were in the U.S.

Now, alone he waited for the bartenders assistance, a tall guy with slicked back black hair and a leather jacket smiled at Louis. Louis looked him up and down, he looked very much like a 1950’s greaser with his hear quaffed and white t-shirt underneath. 

“Beer?” the guy called out. 

Louis shook his head, “I need something stronger.”

Smiling he called out for two Scotch on the rocks and leant against the counter. He smiled at Louis, “Hayden, Hayden Price.” 

Louis nodded and held out his hand. As he held it he noticed the softness of his skin and felt a sudden, unwelcome spark of electricity. His mind was a little numbed from the alcohol and so was his reasoning so as he pulled his hand away he let his middle finger circle softly on Hayden’s palm. Hayden smiled, he received the okay to move in closer. 

“Good night?” He asked. 

Louis laughed, “Don’t ask.”

“You and Harry hey?” He smirked. 

“Excuse me?” Louis asked in surprise. 

Hayden leaned in closer, “Everyone knows.”

Louis blushed, “Here we were thinking management were doing such an incredible job of keeping it secret,” he laughed sarcastically.