Chapter 12 - Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Liam slammed his large hands on the glass of the taxi, he called out Louis name over and over again and the last thing he saw as the car pulled away was Louis’s dishevelled face, tears streaking his normally pink cheeks. Liam felt sick, he turned and looked at the boys who were equally confused. Zayn tried to follow the Taxi but they all stood and watched as it disappeared into the busy streets.

The moment it was gone he turned immediately to Harry who was standing next to them and staring blankly at the road where Louis’ taxi disappeared onto. He said nothing, Liam watched him carefully trying to assess what was going to happen next.

Dakota’s cries could barely be heard over the shouts of fans, media and paparazzi. The flashes of the camera’s were relentless and blinding, slapping the night with repeated bolts of bright light and it was suffocating. Liam grabbed Harry’s arm and began to pull him away from the crowd but Harry just stood there. 

 “Back off!” Niall shouted angrily at the media as they invaded every inch of personal space the boys had. 

“Harry!” Dakota shouted, a helpless ring to her voice, the perfect damsel in distress, Liam thought. 

Harry stood blankly staring, arms hanging limply at his sides, he didn’t blink at the flashing camera’s nor did he react when Dakota rushed up to him. Zayn pushed her away and Liam could still hear them arguing when he pulled Harry away from the paparazzi. He searched for someplace to escape from the publics prying eyes, he needed to talk to Harry, they all did and he could see Harry was on the precipice of breaking down completely.

That was the last thing he needed to be in the media, Liam saw ahead the bright sign reading ‘Police’. He put his arm around Harry and led his shaking friend to the Police Building that stood to the far right of the main stage. A petite blonde woman clad in the uniform opened the doors and ushered the boys in, she called for help when shrieking fans and story hungry reporters tried to rush in after them.

A tall man with an oversized stomach and thick moustache led them to a room, swinging the door opened he flicked on the fluorescent lights and gestured for them to enter. Liam thanked him profusely and helped Harry to the closest seat. The room was small, five chairs surrounded a small table and a deck of cards lay spread out on the table surface. The same policeman returned with a jug of water, tissues and some glasses.

Niall asked him to keep everyone out and turned back to his phone, he was calling someone. Liam knew it would be Louis, but the frustrated look on Niall’s face told him Louis still wasn’t answering. 

Slamming the door shut Zayn swore, he turned when he heard Jennifer’s voice and stepped angrily outside. 

“You’re not coming in her and neither is she,” the emphasis on the last word told Liam exactly who was standing out there. “I don’t give a shit who told you to come in, you and Dakota can leave. Now.”

Liam had never heard Zayn so angry and smiled to himself, it was always a pleasure to see Zayn come out of his shell more and more. When Zayn returned he slammed the glass door shut harder this time and pulled the cord so the blinds were drawn. Jennifer called out but it was to deaf ears, there was no way she was coming anywhere near Harry in this state. 

“Harry,” Niall was leaning on his knee’s he had Harry’s shoulders and was gently shaking him. “Mate, you need to talk to us.”

Harry’s breathing was short and ragged and before he could say anything the tears welled in his eyes, they rolled uncontrollably down his flushed cheeks. Liam put a hand on Harry’s chest and could feel his heart racing, “deep breaths mate,” he said soothingly.