"Have you spoken with you mother at all since she left?"

"No." He turned back to look at the ceiling. "I don't even know if she's alive or not."

"That's why you don't let people in, isn't it?"

"What?" He looked back at me with a frown.

"You're afraid to lose the people you love. That's why you don't tell people and that's why you sleep around with different girls all the time. You're too scared."

He chuckled a little.

"Maybe. Or maybe I'm just an asshole."

"You wouldn't be an asshole if it wasn't for your past."

"Now that you know more about my shitty background, can we talk about something else? This is too depressing."

"Yeah, of course." I looked up at the ceiling again, nibbling on my bottom lip, trying to come up with something else to talk about. But luckily, Niall was the first one to break the silence this time.

"What's up with you and Jesse?"

"Nothing. Why, are you jealous?" I grinned, glancing at him.

"Yeah, right. Like I would be jealous of that awkward loser."

"Sounds like it." I looked back up, still grinning to myself. "But like I said, nothing's going on between Jesse and me. He's just a nice guy, unlike someone else."

"Don't push it, Sam." Niall warned me, glancing at me. "You still owe me a back rub."

I shifted over to my side and looked at him, eventually he turned his head to me as well.

"Aren't you going to question me about Liam too?"

"No." He simply said, slightly shrugging. "I don't mind kicking Liam's ass. Jesse on the other hand..."

"So you can't stand the idea of leaving me alone with Liam, you're planning on beating him up for making a move on me and you're asking me about Jesse. Yet you claim you're not jealous." I teased him.

"What would I be jealous for?" He looked away.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the fact that Jesse and I kissed last night."

"You kissed Jesse?" He quickly looked back.

"No, but that reaction was priceless coming from someone who's not jealous."

"Shut up." He muttered, rolling over so his back was facing me.

I decided to make a move. Sooner or later something must happen if I want him to fall for me. But since I've already figured out he's somehow jealous of both Jesse and Liam, it's heading in the right direction.

I crawled closer and wrapped one of my arms around his torso, meanwhile slowly running my other hand through his hair.

"And you said I'd be the touchy one." He chuckled, before suddenly rolling over again. This time we were lying face to face.

"But I can't let you spoon me. Cuddling is off limits."

"Why's that?" I asked, reaching up to stroke his cheek.

"I only cuddle with girls for two reasons. One is to get laid, and the other one is to let them down easy when I break things off. And you've made it pretty clear we won't be having sex tonight."

"What if I changed my mind?"

Not that I would sleep with him right here right now

I inched closer, almost making our lips brush against one another. But he placed his hand upon my shoulder, carefully pushing me away.