I sighed. "So she'll survive? Are you saying she no longer is on her death bed?"

"Basically. I think that she will make it. She is starting to breath on her own but barely and she's still aware of her surroundings though in a comatose state. So, I think within the next couple of weeks we will take her off the machine and let her breath on her own and then move her to the obsevation wing so yes, I think she is no longer on her death bed."

"Is that your professional opinion?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Look, my professional opinion would be don't get your hopes up until she opens her eyes and is talking to you. But it looks as if she'll recover with some hitches that includes possible memory loss." My shoulder sagged and he put a hand on it. "Look at it this way, in the next week the woman you're in love with could begin breathing on her own. As the swelling goes down, may come out of her coma and be conscious. Then there are the possibilities that she may have memory loss and needing some memory exercises to help strengthen her brain but at least she'll be alive."

I nodded. "Thanks Doc." He smiled kindly.

I turned around and walked back into the room as the nurse finished changing the bed sheets walking out with the dirty ones in her arms. She gave me a brief smile as she past by closing the door behind her.

I walked back up to her bed and began to speak to her, even though I know she can't respond to me. "Brielle, I am sorry for being an ass. I was afriad. I didn't want more distance between us. Undergrad was hard enough and the possibility that you might not be in Washington with me scared me. I should have been more supportive. You've been nothing but supportive this entire time. Baby, I'm so sorry please, I beg, come back. Open those beautiful brown eyes. Please."

No reply. Not even movement of her eyes under her lids. I sighed kissing her forehead before laying my head back on her bed looking up at her.

The nurse came into the room to let me know that visiting hours were over and that it was time for me to leave. I rubbed my eyes, sighing sadly.

"Please, can I just stay the night with her. I haven't done that in weeks and I miss her. Please, I am asking-begging, let me stay for tonight."

She sighed looking up at the clock then back at me. "Let me see what I can do. I'll talk to the head RN. Wait here." She turned around and left the room, leaving me with Brielle. I looked at her and realized that her chest was actually moving up and down. She was breathing on her own! She wasn't going to the rhythm of the life support machine.

I thought of something that might not work but I was willing to try. Taking her hand in mine, I bent down to her ear. "Brielle, baby, If you can hear my voice please squeeze my hand," I whispered. Nothing. I began blinking away tears that threatened. If she wakes up I don't want her to see me brought to tears at the thought of her never waking up. I tried again. "Please, Brielle, squeeze my hand. I know you're in there. Fight whatever is keeping you from me, baby. You can do it. I know you can, use the sound of my voice to follow. Brielle, squeeze my hand."

Then she did it! I felt and saw her hand move slightly. "That's it! Squeeze harder! I'm right here. Don't be afraid. Wherever you are, use my voice to lead you." That's when I felt the squeeze, she was able to do it hard enough for me to feel it, though it was still pretty weak, that's when my tears fell. I kissed her forehead. "Great job. I'm right here baby. I'm not leaving."

The nurse came into the room with blanket and saw me in tears. "Oh god," she said rushing to the bedside after tossing the blanket into the nearby love seat, checking every monitor. After a moment she looked at me confused. "Her vital signs look good and the life support machine is working fine. Why are you so upset?"

"I'm not upset," I replied, wiping the tears. "I'm happy. She squeezed my hand."

"What? That's impossible at this stage, the doctor said she wouldn't be able to really respond for another week, just before we take her off life support and more of the swelling goes down."

"Well, she squeezed my hand. I don't know if she'll do it again but I can try. Maybe if you see her do it, you can call in Dr. Martinez and we could try and get her off of life support early."

"Are you sure you want to do that?" she asked. "I mean, she might've responded but that doesn't mean that she is ready to come off life support."

"I am sure," I looked down at Brielle lovingly. "She's been through hell and high water, she's the strongest woman I know. It's what make me love her so much. She can do it. If she can already squeeze my hand when the doctor didn't think that she'd be able to before next week, then it's worth a try."

"That could cost her, her life. Are you really ready to do this?"

I looked up at her. "If she squeezes my hand in front of you then when the doctor comes and sees it, I won't be risking her life because I'll know for sure that she's in there just trying to find her way out. If she can respond, she'll wake up in due time."

"Alright then," the nurse said putting her hands on her hips. "Let me see." I did everything I did before from taking her hand into mine, to whispering into her ears.

"Baby, you might have to do this a couple of times, so just listen to my voice. Use it to help. Please, squeeze my hand." Just like before she squeezed my hand and the nurse gasped covering her mouth.

"Oh my-I'll get the doctor. He'll want to do some CT scans on her brain to see what the swelling looks like but don't get your hopes up about her getting off life support any sooner than before next week," She said quickly leaving the room.

I looked back down at Brielle, as I gazed at her all I could imagine was hearing her beautiful laugh and see her bright smile.