Chapter 4

Spencer was busy the whole day questioning victims and witnesses, looking at victimology, and profiling. Isabelle was busy the whole day with sick dogs and cats coming in for check ups. By then it was 6:00 at night and still no sign of the dogs owner. 9:00 pm rolled around and she decided that it was time for the dog to meet its new home. She went over to the computer and made a flyer saying, "A black lab was dropped off at the Bayview Veterinary office and was never claimed. I'm taking it home with me so that I can care for it there. It has no collar or a chip. If she is yours, please call this number, 703-555-1906." She printed a few sheets and went home with the beautiful black lab. She took a bed from her office and laid it out on the floor.
"Here you go." She said petting the dogs head. She gave it some food and water then she got ready for bed herself by brushing her teeth, putting her hair in a bun, and slipping into more comfortable clothes before climbing into her well made bed before passing out. She woke up groggily at 6 am and checked her phone to see she had a message from Spencer.
"I'll be home tonight if we don't get another case. Sorry I didn't text or call you last night, it was a pretty busy day. We caught him though. We are on our way home right now so maybe we can have dinner tonight?" He wrote.
She lifted herself out of bed and wrote back, "I know you're probably sleeping since it's 6 in the morning and you were on your way home at 2 this morning but I'd like to have dinner with you tonight. I'll text you when I get home from work." She got dressed into black slacks and a dog covered blue scrub shirt and went downstairs. The dog immediately jumped up when she heard her footsteps coming down the stairs. Isabelle opened her door to let her outside and then went in the kitchen to get some cereal and saw the flyers sitting there. After pouring herself a bowl she walked back over to the door where the lab was patiently standing. She ate her cereal quickly, said goodbye to the dog, and left. She brought some scotch tape with her and taped some flyers to polls and posts on her way. She arrived at the vets office and the guy sitting at the desk called her over.
"Yes Mason?" She asked him.
"This came in for you in the mail." He said handing her a cardboard box.
"Thank you." she said heading into her room. She set the box down on the table and looked at it curiously considering she never gets packages at work. She turned around to grab some scissors and cut open the box. Inside laid a rose and a note. She picked up the note that read "To my love, we will see each other soon." She smiled and picked up the deep red rose. She put it by her computer and looked at it all day. 7:00 pm came and she packed up her stuff to leave.
"Hey Mason, I'm leaving early. I'm going to get some dinner." She said walking out the door. He nodded and she left. She sat in her car a minute to text Spencer.
"Hey," she wrote, "I'm ready when you are."
He replied almost immediately, "Okay, where do you want to go?"
"I don't care, up to you." she texted back
"Okay well that's not helpful. How about we go to Applebee's?" He replied.
"Sounds good." She wrote, "I'll meet you there." She took off her dog scrub shirt and was wearing a red tank top underneath. She reached into her back seat and grabbed a black shall. She only  had to drive just down the road so she made it there before Spencer. She walked inside and decided to wait for him before getting a table. He came in only a few moments later.
"Hey!" She said greeting him.
"Hello," He replied. "Did you get us a table?" He asked after giving her a quick hug.
"No, not yet." She said.
"Okay, I've got it." He said walking to the counter. "Table for two please."
"Right this way." The waitress said grabbing two menus on her way to their booth. "Will this be okay?" She asked.
"Yeah." They both said in unison. They both sat down, ordered drinks and food, and got to talking again. They laughed and playfully argued for an hour and a half before she remembered the rose. "Oh!" She said after swallowing a bite of her steak. "Thank you for the rose this morning and the letter. It made my day." She said smiling. Spencer swallowed his food and then went for another bite "What rose?" He said furrowing his eyebrows but not thinking too much of it.
"The one you sent me. With the letter." Her smile faded a little bit and she sounded confused. Spencer gave her a weird look and said "I'm sorry Izzy, but I never sent you a flower. Or a letter." She looked a little bit dazed so he asked gently "Isabelle, what was on the letter?"
She looked down at her hands that had dropped her fork and were now fiddling with her napkin and recited what was written on the letter, "To my love, we will see each other soon." She looked back up to see his confused face. Almost as confused as her.
"Izzy, I bet it's nothing to worry about, but if you don't mind, I would like for you to stay with me tonight. Just in case." He said. She nodded and then smiled.
"Thanks" she said and then paused again for a moment as a smiled creeped upon her face again, "Um..are you allergic to dogs?" She asked.