Chapter 4: Worse

Astrid's POV

The first 2 weeks back at school have been hell. Ever since people found out I was a vampire, I've been getting looks of suspicion. The first day back, and the populars found out I was a vampire. By the end of the day the whole school knew. Human paranoia was abound, and by lunch the next day I'd lost my seat at the popular table, and my position as cheerleader. Apparently my 'newly enhanced' senses would not be fair to the other girls, and thus I was voted out by a majority. Heather and Cami were giving me looks of pity. They at least didn't ostracize me after my change, but they also couldn't associate with me, if they wanted to keep their spot on the team. They both had sport scholarships, and I told them I would not risk their education for friendship at school, we still kept in touch through the phone however.

But some things never change. Snotlout is still as persistent as ever with his flirting. Apparently being rich has people looking the other way when pursuing a girl.

In the last 2 weeks I had begun sitting with Henry, and Fishlegs during lunch. The twins joined us after the first week.

------------Flashback---------

The cafeteria was as busy as ever. I spot Henry, and Fishlegs at a table in the back. As I made my way over to them some jerks try to trip me, or I see them glaring at me. 'Bigots, the lot of them.' I can't help but think.

As I take my seat at the table I pull out the normal lunch I had brought today. Both Fishlegs, and Henry stare at me. The twins walking past, and being curious come to sit with us.

"Hey Astrid, you know that's human food right?" Tuffnut asks as he is sucking from a blood packet.

"Yeah, I can still eat this kind of food." I tell them.

"Wait, I thought vampires couldn't eat this." Henry says, indicating the 2 pepperoni pizza slices I had put on the table.

"You're not a full vamp, are you Astrid?" Ruffnut asks.

"Yeah, the doctor said that the change was interrupted when Stormfly fought off my attacker." I tell them.

"Wow, a hybrid." Tuffnut stops sucking, and looks at me with amazement.

"What!!" I ask.

"Astrid, hybrids are rare. The change has to be stopped at just the right time. Many older vampires would give up their enhanced senses just to be able to taste human food again, and you being a hybrid means you are also immune to stakes, and holy water." Ruffnut explains.

----------End flashback------

As I get home today, I see my mom laying face down on the sofa.

"Mom, are you alright?" I ask as I get closer.

"Oh, honey." She really looks worn out.

"Mom"

"They let me go Astrid. I got fired!" She yells into the pillow.

"What!" I can't help but say. "You're one of their best chemists."

"One of my former colleagues contaminated several blood samples, and then blamed it on me." She tells. "HR didn't even investigate, they just let me go."

"Astrid honey, I think we need to move to a smaller place." I hear her say.

"Mom, what do you mean?" I can't help but ask.

"I need to get a new job, but most places won't hire a vampire, and the medical bills need to be paid as well. The insurance barely covered the funeral costs." She informs me.

'What will happen to us?' Is all I can think about for the night.     

Peering into shadows (Httyd)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara