Chapter 2: Lives altered

Astrid's POV

I woke up to a white ceiling, feeling disoriented. When my vision clears I notice that I am in a hospital bed, and I can feel bandages around my neck. All I could remember was Stormfly being hit by a piece of the door, and a sharp pain in my neck. A nurse walks by, and notices I'm awake. Soon a doctor is checking me over. "What happened?" was all I could ask.

"There are some detectives here, who could answer your questions. If you are feeling well enough." The doctor tells me.

I nod to him, and the nurse lets the two detectives inside. "Miss Hofferson, I'm detective Beck, and this is detective Aron. Would it be alright if we ask you some questions?" The man quietly asks.

"I don't know how much help I can be. All I heard was fighting, and then my door got kicked open as I was calling 911."

"What happened to my parents, and my familiar?" I ask desperately.

"Your familiar is right outside Miss. She wouldn't leave your side." The doctor tells me. "She was slightly dazed, but managed to fight off your attacker."

"It would seem your family was targeted by a faction of rogue vampires. We have some descriptions from your neighbors, who awoke to the screams.

"Miss Hofferson." I turn to the doctor. "Your attacker managed to turn you, and your mother." All I could do was stare at the doctor.

"And your father was not so lucky." The doctor informs me.

"I'm sorry Miss Hofferson, but he didn't make it." The doctor says solemnly.

I just sit there in shock. My mind can't seem to understand. My dad is dead, and mom, and I are vampires now. The doctor seeing my shock decides to give me something to sleep. As I fall into Morpheus's embrace I take in the sorrowful look the nurse gives me.

---------------Time Skip------------

When I awoke again, I saw two figures standing in my room. Once my vision cleared I noticed it was Henry, and Fishlegs.

"Hey Astrid, how are you holding up?" Henry asks.

Hiccup's POV

Today was like any other day. I would wake up. Shove Toothless off me. Have breakfast with dad if he didn't need to go in early, get dropped off by my car, walk four blocks to school, and get bullied by Snotlout. The only difference is that Astrid did not come to school today.

As Fishlegs, and I walk into Homeroom I see Gobber, my godfather, looking sad.

"Oi, ya lads, and lassies take a seat. I got some bad news." He says to the students.

I take a seat next to Fishlegs, while the twins sit behind us.

"I've just been informed by the school that your classmate Astrid, and her family were attacked late last night by rogue vampires." Gobber tells us. "Only Astrid, and her mom survived, but she will be in Berk Memorial Hospital for a while to recuperate."

The entire class was deathly silent. I turn to look at Fishlegs. "You want to see if she's ok after school?" I ask him. Fishlegs just nods, probably still in shock.

-------Time skip-----------

After school Fishlegs, and I drove to the hospital. Now we just got to find Astrid's room.

"Excuse me miss. Where can I find Astrid Hofferson's room?" I ask the receptionist.

A doctor in the lobby heard me, and turned to us. "You're here to see Miss Hofferson? I'm her attending physician." He tells us. "Follow me. I gave her some medicine to let her rest but she should be coming around soon. Are you her classmates?" The doctor ask. Both Fishlegs, and I answer in affirmative. "I'm sure she'll be happy to see some familiar faces." The doctor leads us to a room, where I see Stormfly napping near the window. She takes a brief look at us before going back to sleep.

"I'll leave you to it boys." The doctor says as he goes to check on other patients.

We turn to look at Astrid, and find that is awake.

"Hey Astrid, how are you holding up?" I ask her.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming." She says while sitting up straighter.

"My injuries are minor, but guys I've been turned." She trails off.

"Astrid, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, and we have nothing against vampires." I tell her.

"Yeah, you should rest Astrid." Fishlegs tells her.

"If you guys are here then the school told the class right?" She asks, and we nod affirmative.

"Then, I might as well tell you. My dad didn't make it. They said he was thrown with so much force that he died on impact." Astrid begins to cry. "I have no idea what my mom, and I are going to do now." Astrid says, tears falling down her face, as she lies back down.

"Astrid, no matter what. If you ever need help. Any help at all you can count on us." I tell her, and Fishlegs nods.

"Thanks guys, that really means a lot." Astrid gives us a genuine smile.

Soon visiting hours are over, and we bid her farewell.