Chapter 15: Cold competition

Astrid's POV

Dinner last evening was very pleasant. The elderly couple who introduced themselves as Ollie, and Mona were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary with the renewal of their vows, and a 2nd honeymoon. The talk progressed to the many funny situations each of us had at one point encountered. As dinner ended we bid goodbye to Ollie, and Mona who asked if during our stay we would like to join them for lunch or coco another day.

We had just entered the lobby to go to our various activities, when Bradley, Jacqueline, and their two companions came up to us.

"Well well well, if it isn't the riff raffs." Bradley drawled.

"You owe us an apology for last night" Jacqueline states imperiously.

At this point I can't take their egotistical behavior anymore.

"Listen here princess, we owe you nothing. Last night you were clearly in the wrong, or do you simply want an apology to boost your already over inflated egos. Anymore, and you might just float away." I tell Jacqueline who is looking like a gaping fish at the moment.

"You tell them babe." Henry says as he throws me a smile.

Bradley suddenly walks over to me, and puts his hand over my shoulder. "Why hello there cutie, why don't you ditch this twig of a loser, and I'll show you a good time. It's not like your scrawny boyfriend can do anything." He states trying to look seductive (but failing spectacularly).

I slowly give him a smile, then I grab his arm, and twist it painfully. "Now listen here you wannabe pretty boy. My boyfriend doesn't have to do a thing because he knows how much pain I can cause you." I say as I twist his arm further eliciting a yelp from him.

"First of all you don't get to call me babe. Second I wouldn't go with you if we were the last people on the planet. An ameba would have a better chance then, And lastly if you ever insult my boyfriend again I will ensure that you never have children." I simply state letting go of his arm.

Bradley holds his arm to his chest as he scurries back to his sister's side. At this point we were locked in a staring contest with the other group, when a familiar voice interrupted us.

"Now now, there is no need for violence." Ollie says as he approaches us. "Why don't you settle this with a competition."

At this point we were all looking at Ollie for an explanation. "Like I said. Why not hold a competition. Best 2 out of 3 events wins." He states as his wife joins him together with Simons who was curious about the whole commotion in the lobby.

"That would be a splendid way to settle your argument." Mona states, "we could act as witnesses." She gestures to herself, and her husband.

"I would like to witness this competition as well." Simons says.

"That's alright with us." I hear Henry state.

"Fine" Jacqueline says, and adds "But the winner gets to choose the next event."

Simons suggested snowboarding for our first challenge, and with that we headed for one of the half pipes near the slopes. Bradley was the one to compete in this event, and I told the others to leave it to me.

I have to admit that Bradley was fairly competent on the half pipe but he could not beat me as I threw in some extra Ally Oops, and Backside 720's. By the time I reached the end of the half pipe the crowed that had gathered was giving me a loud cheer, confirming that I had won this event, much to the displeasure of Jacqueline, and her group. The next event I decided was going to be a ski race.

For this event we headed towards one of the intermediate slopes. Angelica, and Chase were the ones competing in this race so Snotlout, and Ruffnut volunteered.

As the race started both pairs were fairly evenly matched. However this changed when they neared the tree line. Angelica whistled to get Snotlout's attention, and blew him a kiss. Because Snotlout didn't look where he was skiing he ended up crashing into a pine tree. Letting Angelica take the lead, with Ruffnut in second followed by Chase. When the finish line was in sight both Angelica, and Ruffnut were neck in neck. Chase who was catching up bumped against Ruffnut causing her to lose her balance, causing Angelica to win the race. She simply skied up to us, and told us with a smirk that figure skating was to be the next event.

Both groups decided to take a little rest in the lodge, and meet at the indoor skate rink in an hour.

"Ah, my nose" Snotlout said holding his now red nose as he sits on a couch.

"Serves you right for looking at girls when you should have been concentrating on the race." Ruffnut says as she slaps him on the back of his head.

"Guys we do have a bit of a problem." Heather states. "The next event is figure skating, and Jacqueline is the national champion."

"We don't stand a chance." Cami comments.

"Just leave Jacqueline to me." I see Henry say, as he gives us a sly smirk.

"What are you planning?" I ask looking a little skeptical.

Snotlout suddenly bursts into a fit of laughter. "Oh My God cuz, I totally......HAHAHAA....forgot about....HAha... that." Snotlout says between his laughing fit.

"Don't you worry guys. Jacqueline won't know what hit her." He comments.

After almost an hour we enter the indoor skating rink. The others are already there.

"I thought you wouldn't show up." Jacqueline says with a haughty tone just as the doors open to reveal Ollie, Mona, and Simons, together with some of the staff who take a seat on the bleachers.

"I hope you guys don't mind. Some of the staff wanted to see the tie breaker." Simons says as he takes a seat on the front bleacher.

"More people to see me beat you." Jacqueline says as she flips her hair. "Let the best routine win."

Jacqueline won the following coin toss, and chose to go first.

"Let me show you how a professional does it." She says as she heads onto the ice. Tuffnut could however still be heard commenting "I wonder when we'll meet a professional."

Jacqueline's routine started with an axel jump, and consisted of various spins, and double jumps. When she neared the end of her routine she landed a triple salchow followed by a triple lutz.

I could hear Snotlout asking Henry. "Dude she's isn't pulling any punches. Those where triples."

"Don't worry Snotlout. I won't be pulling my punches either." I hear as a response.

Jacqueline comes off the ice stating to us. "I'd like to see you beat that."

My boyfriend simply answers with an OK, as he gets in the rink.

I see him start to gain speed on the ice as he goes into his first jump. Snotlout was the one to call the name of the jumps. "Henry began with a Loop, and went into a double axel."

I see Henry skating backwards, and jumping. "That was a triple lutz, and now he is going into a double axel jump." Snotlout states as he, and everyone else is watching the routine. Jacqueline eyes are already bug eyed.

Henry's routine is nearing the end as I notice him picking up speed. "Oh My God he is actually gonna do it." Snotlout says gleefully.

Henry suddenly does two jumps after the other that has Snotlout giving a standing ovation along with the rest of the audience, while Jacqueline's mouth was wide open from shock, the perfect guppy imitation.

"Yes, he just landed a quadruple salchow, followed by a quadruple axel." Snotlout tells me excitedly, and then states "It's his win. Quadruples are the most difficult jumps to land, and are almost never seen in competitions."

As Henry leaves the ice I go over to hug him while whispering in his ear. "You are full of surprises."