Chapter 17: Countdown

Astrid's POV

It is the evening of the 31st of December, New Year's is only hours away. The girls, and I are getting ready to head to the party. I'm currently wearing the dress that Hiccup gave me for Christmas, a Navy blue One shoulder Chiffon dress, with a flower shaped rhinestone clasp on the shoulder.

"Astrid you look fabulous." Heather exclaims as she comes out of her bedroom dressed in a strapless green dress with a split on the left side.

"You too Heather. Fishlegs won't know what hit him." I tell her as we help each other with our make-up.

"Guys we have a crisis here!!!" Cami yells from Ruffnut's room.

As we enter the bedroom I see Ruffnut in her bathrobe on the bed in complete disarray.

"I can't do this." Was all she said. "I don't think he'll get the hint."

"Ruffnut, it's Snotlout we are talking about. You're going to have to be as blunt as ever." I state.

"I know!!" She wailed. "Why did I begin to like him?"

"If he doesn't get that you're into him, you should just hit him over the head. It's what you would do anyways." Cami states as she brings out a dress.

"Now let's get you prettied up." Heather says as she approaches with a hairdryer.

Hiccup's POV

It's already evening, and we will be meeting the girls in 15 minutes to go to the gala. Well we should be if Snotlout wasn't in full panic mode right now.

"Snotlout you need to calm down!!" I yell, and slap his cheek.

"That's easy for you to say cuz. You got the love of your life. I have to impress Ruffnut. RUFFNUT!!!" He says his voice getting higher, and higher while he waves his hands in the air to prove a point.

"Dude, you worry too much." Tuffnut supplied getting his fingers tangled in his bowtie.

"I still can't believe you got the hots for Ruffnut. Didn't she bury you in snow?" I ask.

"Only for a few hours." Snotlout replied.

"Snotlout I think you might be a masochist." I can't help but say, as I button up my tuxedo.

Snotlout huffs, and directs his focus to the different tuxedo styles. "Why does choosing a tuxedo have to be so difficult!!!" he exclaims as he takes one similar to mine.

"Snotlout I don't think that will fit." Fishlegs supplies.

"The Waverly Tuxedo works for Hiccup, because he is so slim. You would do better with this midnight blue Maxwell Tuxedo." Fishlegs says as he hands him the clothing item.

At the moment the entire room is silent as we all look at Fishlegs perplexed.

"What!! I told you before that I watch a lot of Runway!!" Fishlegs explains. The room stays silent. "Alright! And reruns of queer eye for the straight guy!!!" Fishlegs says in a huff.

"That explains so much." Tuffnut smirks.

"Hey, at least Snotlout will wear something matching Ruffnut's eye color." Fishlegs supplied getting dressed himself.

Within 10 minutes we were standing before the girls suite. The nervousness could still be felt in the air. I raised my hand to knock, and heard Astrid say "Just a minute" through the door.

As Astrid opened the door to reveal Heather, Cami, and herself our jaws simply dropped. "Astrid you look amazing" I tell her and give her a kiss on the cheek.

Fishlegs, and Tuffnut were both tripping over their feet to offer Heather, and Camicazi compliments.

From the door Snotlout was still nervous as he looked around the suite. "Where's Ruffnut he asks."

The girls just give us a sly smile, and yell "Ruffnut you can come out now."

Ruffnut walks out of her room her blonde hair done up into a bun with pearls in it, and small rivulets of curls framing her face. She was wearing a white one shoulder gown ending in a mermaid tail.

"Ruffnut you look gorgeous!" Snotlout says trying to hide the blush that was creeping on his face.

"And you all look very handsome as well." I heard Ruffnut comment. "Very handsome indeed." She says looking especially at Snotlout.

We each offer the girls our arms as we lead them to the Banquet hall where the gala was. We met dad, and the others near the doors to the hall. Daniel was acting as Matilda's date (finally I thought). I could hear the twins already whisper plans to get those two together, and Astrid, and I couldn't help but give them some helpful tips. 'OMG We're turning to matchmaking just like our parents.' I mentally realize. Dad was accompanying Mrs. Hofferson, and they were discussing something intently. I noticed a shudder run through Astrid as she watches her mom. "I think they are planning our wedding." Astrid whispers to me as I lead her onto the dance floor.

-------Time skip--------

It was almost midnight. Astrid, and I were slow dancing. Snotlout, and Ruffnut could be seen to the left of us, and Heather, and Fishlegs went up to the balcony. Tuffnut, and Cami were conversing near a table, and I also notice Daniel, and Matilda get on the dance floor.

Suddenly the lights went out, and the countdown began.

'5'

"Astrid" I say getting her attention.

'4'

"I love you" I whisper in her ear.

'3'

I see her blush, and whisper back "I love you too."

'2'

We slowly draw closer.

'1'

And I give her a passionate kiss, as the clock strikes twelve.

"Happy New Year" could be heard all around us as cheers, and congratulations were shouted. The fireworks were going off outside, but all that mattered was the kiss we shared.