Chapter 5: Problems on the horizon

Astrid's POV

During the next week we moved from our 2 story apartment to a 2 bedroom one, located near the harbor. The state of the building isn't too great, but not many apartments are available if you're vampires. I now have to get up 30 minutes earlier to get to school by metro, because we also had to sell the car, and the excess furniture. Mom is currently working as a sales clerk at a nearby dollar store, and I found an afterschool job waitressing at a bar and grill. Blood packets at least seemed to be a lot cheaper than other types of food, and I can honestly say that I am thankful for that fact.

It is currently Friday, and I at least have the weekends off. I wonder if the twins want to hang out later. Henry's father was going on a business trip for the weekend, and wanted Henry to come along as well, and Fishlegs was stuck babysitting his triplet little sisters for the weekend. (I met them, thrust me.... Devils incarnate)

So I'm currently finishing my shift. While walking out of the rest room with mop in hand, I hear three men talking in hushed tones around the corner.

"Will we finally be rid of the Haddocks?" One of the men said.

This got my attention as I press my ear closer.

"Aye, our best are on the job."

"When they get to the conference, we'll grab them."

"They've been a thorn in our side for a while now. With all their equal rights crap."

"They, shouldn't be much of a problem soon. I hear they will go out with a BANG."

I gasp at this, unfortunately one of the men hear.

"What was that?"

"You, go check."

I scurry back into the restroom, and hide in one of the stalls. Luckily the men do not enter. While leaving work I call Ruff, and Tuff, and have them meet me at a café.

------ Time skip-----

When I reach the café, I see Tuffnut through the window. He, and Ruffnut have commandeered the small booth on the right side.

"Hey, Astrid" Ruffnut and Tuffnut greet as they catch sight of me.

"Hey guys" I reply.

"Astrid, you have got to try this double chocolate, and cream smoothie." Tuffnut says as he keeps slurping.

"Guys I have something serious to talk to you about." I tell them.

"You know how I got that after school job, right?" I ask them. When they nod I continue. "Today, when my shift was ending I overheard a conversation." Now I had their attention.

"Astrid, don't keep us in the dark. What was so great about this particular conversation?" Tuffnut is now very curious.

"They talked about getting rid of the Haddocks. That at the conference they will go out with a bang." Astrid that is serious. Are you certain?" Ruffnut asks.

"I'm certain of what I heard guys. I think they were discussing an assassination."

"Well we can't let that happen. We got to warn them somehow." Ruffnut says seriously.

"Their Headquarters are 3 stops away if we take the metro." Tuffnut adds.

"It's already 5 o'clock. Do you still think anyone would be in the office?" I ask.

"We can try." Ruffnut says, while Tuffnut says "Let's go."

-------------Time skip---------

We managed to reach Haddock Industries in 15 minutes, and hurry up to the receptionist.

"Excuse me miss. We need to speak with Mr. Haddock." I say a bit out of breath.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Haddock is not here at the moment. Do you have an appointment." She says while looking in her planner.

"Look, this is really serious. Is there any way to contact your CEO?" I asked again.

"Miss, unless you have an appointment I cannot let you through. Now do I need to call security." The receptionist replies.

"Never mind. Come on guys." I gesture for the twins to follow me.

As we are out of the building I let my frustrations out. "SON-OF-A-HALF-TROLL....."

"What now?" Ruffnut cuts off my rant.

"Well we could always try their home." Tuffnut interjects.

"What do we have to lose" I mumble.

----------------Time skip------------

We finally reached the Haddock mansion after a long taxi ride, only to be turned away by the guards.

"AAARGG!!! When will these people listen!!!" I scream, while walking away. Then I notice Ruff, and Tuff not walking with me. I turn around, and see them looking into the surrounding forest.

"Guys, what's going on?" I can't help but ask.

"Well, if we can't get through the front, we'll go around the back." Ruffnut says wearing a smirk. She motions me to follow her, and her brother through the forest. We soon come to a wall. 'This must be the side of the mansion.' I think.

"Alright Astrid, you'll climb on our shoulders to get over the wall. Tuff, and I can jump this easily." She says, and motions for Tuffnut to squat down.

"Why do I have to be at the bottom?" Tuffnut whines, earning him a slap from both of us.

The twins manage to finally get me over the wall. Soon they join me by simply jumping over. Sometimes I envy them being able to do so easily. We landed in an area covered by thick trees. The mansion's roof can be seen so we begin walking in that direction.

I turn my head around to check on the twins while walking forward.

"Stick together guys, or......"

When suddenly I can't feel the ground anymore, and fall into a body of water with a resounding 'SPLASH'.

When I resurface, I realize what I had fallen in. I can't help but yell out "WHO THE HELL BUILDS A FREAKING MOAT!!!!"