Chapter 9: Trespassers

Start from the beginning

"Very surprising, since it seems like you avoid all forms of authority."

Shrugging, you said, "What can I say? I'm rebelious by nature."

"I'm glad for that, Cyar'ika," he said. It was still a bit surprising to think that you broke the Jedi code. After years of training, it only took one man to push you over the edge. And you didn't regret falling in love. Not one bit. Besides, nothing could have made you happier. Blushing, you poked at his T-shaped visor.

"Ditto, ner Alor'ad," you hummed. You felt the demanding presence of Cho looming behind you before they even had a chance to arrive. Rex quickly stood at attention as Obi-Wan and the group made their way over to you.

"Point taken, Senator." Obi-Wan finished saying. You had no clue what he was talking about, but you turned and gave them your attention anyway. "Anakin, stay here with the Senator and the droids while we secure the base."

Anakin obviously didn't like the idea of playing babysitter, but he did so without a complaint. You walked with Rex to the front of the base. As the large blast door rose, you gasped in horror. You felt shock, disgust, and rage slam into you as the mortified troops saw the helmets of their brothers on spears. Obi-Wan lifted one from a spike and Rex paused beside him. He shook his head, a deeply seeded bitterness poured from his being. His pain made your heart break.

"I don't get it," he said flatly despite the horror he felt. You briefly ran your fingers across his closed fist. He flinched away from your touch.  With a sigh, Rex switched off his outercom, probably cursing to himself as he stalked off.

"It must be Separatists," Cho said without fully inspecting the sickening display. He was a battle thirsty man. You could tell all Cho wanted was a fight. This man was the exact opposite of the lurmen leader you had previously met, and you didn't like him either.

"I am not sure," Obi-Wan said with his iconic chin grip. You left them to find where Rex had gone. He wasn't dealing with these deaths well and you didn't blame him. How could you? Rex loved his brothers. You found him crouched down in a dark, icy hallway, attempting to access a data panel that barely sparked despite his hardest efforts. He was frustrated and furious.

"Ner alor'ad," you said, words floating through the air in a white cloud as you leaned against the frozen wall, "You won't get that working any time soon."

Rex slammed his fist against the wall. "Haar'chak!" he yelled in Mando'a. Quickly, you crouched beside him and wrapped your arms around him. You held onto him tightly, and after an eternity, he returned the loving gesture. Rex's outward audio was off again, and you refused to pry. His body was shaking, and that wasn't due to the cold. It just wasn't fair. When you heard his steady breaths, you knew he was ready to talk.

"It just keeps happening," he said as he pulled away from you.

"Do you want to talk about it?" you asked. Rex stood up and laughed bitterly.

"No, (N). I don't." He helped you up with a powerful tug of his arm. Rex turned away and you grabbed his hand. He didn't protest as you intertwined your fingers.

"I'm guessing 'Haar'chak' is a bad word, right?" You said playfully. He huffed.

"Yeah. I'd tell you what it means, but I think you're too young," he said in the same tone. You put a hand over your heart.

"Excuse you, I'm eighteen, and you're..." you trailed off. A frown pulled at your lips as you realized you didn't know his age. His helmet tipped to the side, and you could feel his growing amusement. Your cheeks burned with embarrassment. In an almost quiet voice, you asked, "How old are you?"