FouRtY FivE

This might sound weird but I feel that the people who praise you zero to little for your achievements can pose as motivators. They would remind you that you should never stop climbing the ladder of excellence. Don't succumb to their low talks, turn their harsh words into motivation.
People who are in an illusion that they have achieved everything, that they are doing their 'best' already, can never exceed. Random but just putting my opinion.

Zayn's POV

"Thirty six days." I hear her low voice as the once full of life girl strikes another day on her calendar, pale and lifeless figure crushing under the weight of dead hopes before my own eyes. She walks slowly to her bed and sits leaning on it, tracing patterns on the floor while hugging her knees.

The routine has been on repeat since the eventful night her boyfriend and his mother tragically disappeared, leaving no trail of their existence behind. A hand on my shoulder rouses awareness of another person who is there with me.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"It's alright Mr. Malik. Shall we?" She gestures to the living area and we both take ours seats on the couch.

"I can't bear to see her like this." My voice breaks towards the end.
"Do you have a solution?"

"I've seen a lot of patients with different aliments Mr. Malik, my experience says that your friend Arabella doesn't need specialised counseling. Look, she requires care and love and I see the administration in your eyes, no doubt you'll be the best therapy for her." I nod, trying to grasp on each of the words rolling down her tongue.
"She's fortunate to have a companion like you."

"Call me if you need any guidance or help." She continues, getting up and smoothening the creases on her skirt.

"Thank you miss Kayla." She shrugs off and leaves with a smile. I set a plate and walk to Ara's room, mentally preparing for the usual outburst that I'm not used to yet.

"Ara, lunch time!" I sit the plate aside and help her up on the feet, keeping minimal amount of contact to avoid the resultant fit.

"You are such a waste, you know." She starts while poking her food with the forks, voice hauntingly low yet beautiful.
"You can never be him, so stop trying to make space in my heart."