Clace: Soulmate

Note: This is a continuation of the Sizzy Soulmate.

The picture above is a description of Clary's job - I didn't know how to explain it so I just looked it up.

• • •

When Clary's mom first explained to her what soulmates are, Clary loved the idea. She loved it and couldn't wait to meet hers.

Now, at 22, Clary loves and hates the idea of a soulmate. Why should her life stop once she meets the one? So many of her friends dropped out of school, got married and started having kids. once they met their soulmate. Clary was an artist and no one was going to stop her from doing what she loves.

Then the car accident happened and Clary was left brother-less and the mother of a little girl who is only two years old.

Jonathan, Clary's older brother, and her weren't very close growing up. Sure they had some memories together but they mostly stuck to themselves so when she learned that Jonny had given her custody of his daughter.

• • •

*flashback*

Clary signed the final pice of paper and set the pen down. She picked up the diaper bag and the new stuffed animal and sat down in the waiting room. Her knee bounced anxiously, her father - the biological one - offered to come with her but Clary declined wanting Sammy to come to her for comfort.

Sammy didn't know her Auntie Clary very well but when the little girl saw a familiar face she ran over to Clary immediately, wiping her wet cheeks on Clary's shirt. The one she clutched tightly in her fists. "Mommy? Daddy?" Sammy asked hopefully.

Clary just picks the little girl up into her arms and carries her out of child protective services. Clary's step-dad offered to pick up clothes from her brother's old house and put them in Sammy's new room in Clary's small New York studio apartment.

Sammy falls asleep on the Uber ride to the apartment so Clary has to figure out how to get out without waking her. She got out of the car eventually, but it took a little while.

Simon is waiting at her apartment door with lunch, Chinese Take-Out for them and chicken nuggets for Sammy. Clary lays Sammy down in her bed and closes the door behind her. Simon has the take-out containers waiting on the table for her when she comes out.

"How you doing?" Simon asks pushing a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "Honestly."

Clary shakes her head, "honestly? I don't know. I just lost my brother and now I'm the legal guardian of a two year old who barely knows me." She glances down at her wrist, there's less than a year left before she meets her soulmate. 10 months. "And I'm going to meet him soon, which will make things even more complicated. And I have to finish my painting for the buyer and--"

Sammy's cries stop Clary mid-rant, dropping her fork - she could never get the hang of using chopsticks - and rushes into Sammy's room. Her niece, looking frightened by the unfamiliar room, reaches her arms out to her aunt.

Clary picks her up and carries her into the kitchen, hoping that food will calm her down.

• • •