Chapter 34

I stare into the sky. The beautiful white clouds move along very slowly. The breeze flutters my hair away from my face.

My back is pressed against a picnic rug that I set up in our backyard, in the middle of the trees, surrounded by birds chirping.

I reach a hand out point at a cloud. "That one looks like a giant marshmallow," I say to Rain although I'm sure she has no idea what I'm saying.

She makes a weird sound from her mouth as if confirming that she gets me, and that's when Sam arrives. In his hand is a basket which I'm sure contains something delicious.

Usually people go out to a park or something for a picnic but there has been a lot going on our life and we're the most happiest when we're at home so that is were we will be.

Our backyard however is huge and goes on and on like there's no end. I'm pretty sure I haven't been to the end of the four metre wall that surrounds our house.

This place is good though, almost like we're in a jungle although we'll be save here. It's our own backyard and Sam has since hired extra security after the past few incidents.

I lift my head when Sam places the picnic basket down. I turn and tilt to face him. He smiles as Rain and rubs her chubby cheeks before resting his head on my thigh.

I run my hand through his hair before placing a kiss on his forehead.

"What have you been doing?" He asks.

I point at the sky. "Showing Rain the clouds."

He tilts his head up to stare at what I'm pointing and the smile that covers his face tells me he's as happy as I am for a moment like this.

"Cover Rain's ears for a moment," Sam tells me.

I give him a questioning look.

"Just do it," he says.

I turn and place both my hands against her ears before I turn my face to face him.

"Good," he says. "Because I was going to say that ever since Rain has come into our life, we haven't had a lot of you know what."

I move my hands away from her ears and smack his arms. "You're disgusting!"

He smiles. "What!" He protests. "I was talking about romantic moments."

I nod. "Yea, sure you were."

He laughs before placing his head back on my thigh and turning his focus on the clouds.

The leaves by the nearby trees rustle when the wind blows past them. The peaceful noise relaxes me and I stare down at Rain and Sam.

Rain kicks her legs in the air as if excited for something but that is something I notice she does all the time. Sam however stares me dead straight in the eyes.

I blink and look away.

I can feel a smirk raising across his face as if that was his intention to begin with. To make me blush and look away.

He twists a strand of my hair between his fingers. "I'm not letting Rain ever date someone. She's going to have to accept the boy I pick for her."

I tilt my head to the side. "What! Why?"

"I don't want any guy ever hurting her. I don't know what I'd do to them if they even thought of the idea," he says. "I was pretty harsh with you when you first started and I don't want any guy to do that to her."

I smile. "Are you apologising for that?"

He grins. "I guess I am."

I laugh. "It was kinda my fault too. I pushed you away when I shouldn't have."

He nods. "But still...no dating for Rain."

"She's going to hate you for that."

Sam turns to face Rain. "I don't care."

I push Sam's head away from my thigh despite him protesting and claiming how comfortable it was and move over to grab the picnic basket.

I big smile spreads across my face when I notice sandwiches and soft drink cans. The real way to have a picnic. He brought classic picnic food.

Without thought I shove a sandwich down my throat until Sam coughs.

"It wouldn't be an Australian picnic without sausages," he says.

That's when I notice our butler bring out a tray of hotdogs. He must've walked a fair bit just to bring these but then I notice the golf cart by the side of the trees. It took me twenty minutes just to get here.

I jump up in joy and grab two sandwiches off the tray as I hand one to Sam and keep the other for myself.

"It's starting to feel like a picnic now," I tell Sam.

He nods. "Can't argue there."

Sam pulls Rain up and I hold her up as Sam attempts to spoon gooey, mushy baby food into her mouth.

I look around. It can't get better than this.